Nightmare

The dark nightmares found her again, the murky fog and the screaming shapes. It would drive her mad if she couldn't wake up. But she did. In another cold sweat. Again she splashed her face with cold water and changed her clothes to a tank top and shorts. She knew the lack of sleep must be wearing on her, because her face looked pale in the mirror. It was chilly out now, the fall weather setting in. Naomi could still feel the same shapes slimy hands on her skin clawing at her. She shamefully found she wanted to see Aiden. She wanted his warm and safe embrace, but it still did not feel real. The Alpha basically professed his love to her, and she was his soulmate.

Trying to be as quiet as she could she headed downstairs, and she heard whispers downstairs in the main living area. Peeking through the railing she saw a young wolf who she thought went by Xander, with a young brunette girl laying with her head in his lap. They looked so happy there, talking quietly to one another as he played lovingly with her hair. They were clearly smitten with one another, and it warmed Naomi's heart. She'd never been in love, but had always dreamed of it.

Heading outside she wrapped her cardigan tighter around her body, normally her wolf kept her nice and warm, but it felt chillier tonight. It was in the middle of the night, so the only people around would be the wolves on patrol at the borders, and for this she was grateful so she could have some time to drink in the night air alone. Even so she felt like eyes were watching her from the dark, but looking back no one was there, yet the hairs that raised on the back of her neck told her otherwise. Sniffing the air she didn't catch a whiff of anything, only the grass, the flowers, and the autumn breeze. It would rain soon too. Stopping by a few bushes of roses she bent down and picked at their deep red petals, rubbing them between her fingers before dropping them to the ground, humming softly. Maybe she would take some back with her, make a tea to hopefully get some sort of rest. She couldn't remember ever having insomnia like this, was it trauma? Was she someone else now that there was a wolf inside her?

A snap of twigs jerked her from her thoughts and she felt her heart began to beat faster in her chest. She still didn't smell anything, only something very bitter. She must be paranoid. Naomi reached down to pick another flower, trying to face her stupid fears when she heard the deep growl. Looking up now she saw it. Those familiar red, beady eyes only a few meters away. They eerily called to her. Naomi sliced her finger on the thorns before throwing it to the side and turning back towards the house, which seemed eons away now. Why was the property so goddammed big? It seemed like it only stretched in front of her like the warped reality of a nightmare. She was silent as a fox, silenced by the fear of what she could hear trampling behind her. She swore she could feel its breath snipping at her ankles.

"AIDEN...DANIEL...GRIFFIN...HELP...THE WOLF IS HERE." She yelled down the mind link since she was utterly silenced by fear, hopefully one of them was awake. She was crying now, scrambling atop the pack house steps, her lungs in her chest betraying her, bringing her down to a crawl. It must be closing up on her now. It must be right behind her. She was as good as dead. Naomi clawed at the porch with her nails, trying to draw in breath that never comes as she felt the weight on her shoulders pressing tighter, the dark shapes calling to her from the corners of her eyes. They began to whisper a language familiar but lost to her.

"Naomi. Naomi what happened, please talk to me Luna." Daniel rolled her over on her back but his voice sounded so far away. She heard him yelling and felt his fingers brush against her face but she couldn't reply. She needed to warn them, don't they know the wolf is coming? Her attacker is here, he's going to come after all of them now. Him and his dark shapes from the woods.

"Let me see her!" commanded another voice, Aiden. Naomi's head felt like it was going to explode, but she did feel the tingles that ran down her spine when Aiden took her in his arms, propping her head up for her.