Healer

Naomi peeled the covers back and quickly padded to the dark bathroom to dry heave over the toilet. She felt a comforting hand rubbing her back.

When she was done Aiden helped her get back into bed and get covered up, she was shaking now.

"If I didn't know better I would ask if you thought you were pregnant." He said as he wrapped the blankets around her and an arm. "My sister had bad nausea and night sweats when she was pregnant."

Naomi tried to give him a small smile but it looked more like a grimace. They still had not officiated the mate bond. Instead, her dreams awoke her every night so she barely slept, and the whispers started to continue even after she awoke. It gave her the worst headaches, the indecipherable yelling of the woman in her head. "If only that was why. I feel like I'm going crazy Aiden." She told him honestly. They'd went to the med bay a few days ago and the doctor had her try a few different medicines for the headaches and for sleep. She didn't have any history of schizophrenia she knew of, but that was the next thing to look into and she was afraid. She was sure that wasn't it.

"I'll be here for you for whatever happens. Tomorrow I want to take you to another healer that works for another pack. It breaks me to see you in this much pain." He said holding her tighter.

He held her and rubbed her back for a while until she could fall asleep again. She felt guilty that her small fits of sleep was affecting him too, and he had the big responsibility of the pack to take care of during the day. And they were still dealing with the aftermath of the attack. Her side felt better thankfully.

In the morning Aiden left her to go talk to Daniel, he would need to take over for the next day or two while they went to the other healer to visit. The Harvest Moon pack.

The drive was a few hours, and Naomi had to turn the radio down because it made her head ache worse. The migraine had subsided for now, just a dull throb. She wore dark shades and a thick green cardigan even though it was pretty warm already with the sun. She tried to avoid looking in the mirror these past few days, she knew she looked like shit. Her skin was pale and her face sickly and exhausted. Some Luna she was.

"Why is this pack called the Harvest Moon? Is our name significant?" She asked Aiden.

Ours. She repeated in her head. She was a part of this pack.

"They have a special festival during harvest season for the moon goddess, and have special practices for growing their crops. Everything here on this land must be blessed by her, because it all grows in abundance. They sell a lot of it to other packs." He explained. "I guess it never came up, but yes ours is Mystic Moon. Odd name though, I was never told why. The moon pool may be somewhat "magical" but our pack actually moved here from a smaller territory."

"I like the sound of it, what's so special about the healers here?"

He pulled into the property and parked out front. "When I was young I was bit and mostly drained by a vampire before I had my first shift. It badly poisoned me and my dormant wolf. Rumors say this will take away your wolf entirely, but my parents took me to a healer here. They joke she is a witch, but of course witches are long gone."

"So vampires, werewolves, but witches too? Where are your parents now?"

He leaned forward and kissed her forehead, and the warmth from his lips spread through her for a moment, "Our histories tell us that witches, the first children and worshippers of the goddess, were the first ones to create the vampires and the werewolves, a curse for a reason never explained to me. But they were hunted out of existence centuries ago, out of hatred and greed. Legend says their blood contains the purest of magic that will grant great power to those who harness it. Just a story though. This healer, Gweyn, likely learned herbs and mythologies from generational knowledge." He took her hand. "In this world, being in a position of power or status is dangerous. You will always be hunted for what you have. My parents died protecting me and my sister from another pack."