𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 8: 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐢𝐧𝐧𝛐𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐧 𝐭𝛐 𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐜

𝚩𝐮𝐜𝐤𝐲 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐫𝛐𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐥𝐲 pulled away from her. "What the hell are you doing!" David's voice sounded and his fist drew back. Bucky's fist was already tightly clenched and rising.

"David! Don't!" Jo exclaimed, rushing between them, and putting her back against Bucky's chest. She kept her eyes on the stout curly-haired man, her hand defensively put up.

"Isn't he-"

"Yes and no," she nervously laughed and both men put down their fists. "We're... friends." The word still sounded weird.

"Oh." David realised and his eyes widened. "OH." And now he understood what he had interrupted. "I'm sorry, Jo! I saw you getting angrily out of the car, and he ran after you, and I saw who-"

"No, no!" She interrupted again before he could say too much. "I see how it might've looked." A sort of silence rose between the three of them and Bucky stepped forward.

"So, David, is it?" He stretched his hand forward, and David shook his it.

"Yeah, nice to meet you dude," David sheepishly grinned and glanced back towards the street. "Anyway, I better go back. Leave you and Buck-" Jo's eyes widened with fear. "Leave you two lovebir.... Friends- uh, I'll go."

David sent a last wave as he quickly turned on his feet and scurried towards Echo. Jo ran a hand through her hair. What an utter fucking disaster. That's what she got for telling David all that stuff in a drunken rant.

"So, nice guy," Bucky laughed and looked back at her, running his tongue along his teeth. "Curious how he knew my name and what was that? Friends? Or was he trying to say something else?"

"Well, me and David hang out sometimes during the summer," Jo innocently said and started walking down the alleyway towards the street. Hopefully, this awkward conversation could be left in back there.

"Wait." Bucky grabbed onto her wrist, making her look back at him.

That piercing gaze was back, making her crumble to nothing, and he read her like a book. The smirk on his face widened, and he slid his hand down hers, interlacing their fingers. Jo had forgotten how big his hand was compared to hers, enveloping it almost completely. She had forgotten how warm it was. How his cold metal rings contrasted the rest. How with a simple touch her muscles relaxed while her breath became shallow.

"Okay, let's go." He grinned and dragged her back onto the street, following the direction David had disappeared in. Jo kept staring down at their interlocked hands between them.

She hated how simple it was. How simple and complex it was. How he could make her forget everything with just a touch. A simple touch and she was at his mercy without even questioning what she was doing. She hated how she suddenly forgot how her sister would react. Bucky was a presence that could drown out every drop of restraint she had even considered having.

"Like I said," he abruptly whispered in her ear. They were inside of the shop now. "You're a space cadet." His breath hit her neck, voice raspy and low. Pulling back, he took a second to look her in the eyes, and then returned to peruse the records.

Jo couldn't say anything which only made it worse. She hated when he was right too. A row of the newest rock caught her eye, and she stepped towards it, their hands extending between them, but neither of them let go. David had gotten The Ramones newest album 'It's Alive'.

Bucky's chest seemed to be swelling with something close to pride. Having her next to him was better than he could have anticipated. The way neither of them were letting go, how she stayed close to him on her own account. He loved being the hand she was holding onto while getting lost in her thoughts.