𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 26: 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐠𝛐 𝐟𝛐𝐫 𝐚 𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐞

𝑨𝑵: 𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒊𝒔 𝒈𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 𝒂 𝒍𝒐𝒏𝒈 𝒐𝒏𝒆, 𝒔𝒐 𝒃𝒖𝒄𝒌𝒍𝒆 𝒖𝒑

𓇣☀️𓇣

𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐚𝐬 Saturday. Jo was up at 8 am for the first time since they had arrived at the Ivory House. Her room was more of a mess than it usually was. Her head was pounding, and her body was incredibly worn out. She could barely even remember how she had landed on her bed, and she didn't want to think about it either. The bag was lying on the table, open and with a line still next to it. The dollar bill was still rolled up too.

A present for her future self, it seemed. She took the bill and snorted it up. The searing in her nose made her scratch it, trying to get rid of it while waiting for the pick-me-up to hit. It didn't take long, and suddenly the exhausted feeling faded. She smiled at herself in the mirror before leaving her room.

She was in a light summer dress for once, knowing she would have to stop by her parents' house when she got to town. Her parents and Wanda's parents talked a lot, and she couldn't get into town without either knowing about it.

So, looking presentable it was. The three oldest in the house were the only ones up at this time. Bucky was looking over the usual papers while Steve and Peggy were making breakfast. They were going large today, pancakes, waffles, and an abundance of fruits.

"Why're we being fancy?" Jo asked as she plopped a strawberry into her mouth and sent a quick glance at Bucky. He was already looking at her. The usual half-pout of a smirk present. She bashfully went back to her sister.

"Just making sure we get everything right for this one's birthday next week," Peggy laughed and dragged her hand along Steve's shoulders.

"Oh, right, 4th of July," Jo nodded and grabbed a waffle.

Hopefully, people in town would be doing something down by the harbour again. Various games were usually put up along with stands for people to grill at. Everyone in town always gathered and, of course, Jo was typically up to trouble. She didn't care much for the meaning of the day.

"When are you two leaving?" Peggy then asked and glanced at the clock, her hand on Steve's. That look went back and forth between the couple. Yuck.

"Two?" Jo asked, scoffing a bit.

"Didn't you say she agreed to drive you to town for that meeting," Peggy asked while looking accusatorily at Bucky.

"Well, she did three days ago," Bucky replied with that annoying smirk on his face. What she wouldn't give to wipe it off him. Jo's jaw tensed up.

"Yeah," she breathed out. "I did... guess I just forget."

Those azure eyes stayed locked on her as she sat down and started eating. This was just great. Perfect when she hadn't reached a single fucking conclusion, and she was just as confused, and he was probably aching for an answer. Just great.

Bucky's mind was somewhere else. His eyes were locked to her and the skimpy summer dress she was in, white with golden flowers to match her hair and the sun kissed skin on her bare legs. He couldn't help but stare. Bucky would have liked to be upset with her, but she looked like an angel that had come down from heaven just to tempt him.

Her eyes were softly glowing, and her hair fell in silky waves all the way to the small of her back. The devil in him was enraptured by the beauty and utter perfection she possessed. Jodie didn't act any different. She didn't even see it herself. His jaw tensed, trying to drown his thoughts in his work.