𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 18: 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐞

𝐉𝛐 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐮𝐬𝐞𝐝 to diving. Whether from large cliffs or rocks, but it was always into rivers or lakes. Her feet were the first part of her body to hit the water, while the wind was still roaring past her ears. The water had suddenly come closer, and then it was all around her. Every sound was muffled as the soft liquid slowed her speed and made sure she only gently touched the flooring of the pool.

Her eyes were open as she looked around herself, disappearing in the light blue. Legs were swiping back and forth around the edges. The cool water spread across her body, silencing the burning sensation on her skin.

No. Fuck. It didn't silence it at all. The crimson liquid rose from her right calf, her cut. With her boots off, the only protective layer was the bandages, and they weren't holding. Another splash sounded, and she recognised the black clothes as Bucky swam closer to her. His open button-up shirt billowed in the water as he swam towards her.

His eyes were open, water cascading through his mousy hair, and he grabbed her wrist. A small smile was sent her way as he set off from the bottom of the pool and pulled her with him through the water.

Jo breached the surface, taking a deep breath. The cheers were loud around them, more people jumping over the railing on the second floor and plunging into the water around them. Bucky helped her towards the edge, already aware of the state her body was in.

"I can do it myself, you know," she chuckled as he hoisted himself up on the edge and stretched a hand out to her.

"I know, Jodes, you can do everything yourself." She grabbed his hand and he pulled her out of the water without her even having to do a thing. "But that doesn't mean you have to do it on your own.

"Someone's going soft," she chuckled and tried to stand up, but her leg buckled, pain shooting up through her. She fell into him, and he was more than ready to catch her.

"I think I always was, you were just too stubborn," he laughed while she received a few pats on the back by people she had no idea who was.

"I'm not stubborn," she giggled, but it formed into a hiss, the warm air hitting against her opened cuts.

"Such a mess," Bucky chuckled to himself and pulled her arm over his shoulders, even if she didn't want him to.

Peggy and Steve reached them first, rushing down the stairs. Pietro, Tony, and their girls trailed behind at a much slower pace. Peggy instantly had her hands at her waist, that judging look on her face, and Jo rolled her eyes.

"What on earth-"

"-Was I thinking? Easy enough, didn't really want to," Jo laughed as Pietro passed her and gave her a high-five. "Hey, Pit, think I'm going home. You good?"

"Yeah, yeah, I gotta keep on stepping." He glanced to Melissa in front of him who was pulling him to the water and already undressing.

"Tone, your 20?"

"I'm good," he said with a smirk, looking down at Sarah still beneath his arm, she let out a girlish giggle. Both were tripping.

"I'm not going to let you drive home in that state," Peggy huffed, and followed Jo and Bucky. So far no one had questioned why he was the one supporting her.

"Don't worry." Bucky waved her off. "I was thinking of heading home anyway. I'll make sure she doesn't crash."

Peggy glanced between them, but Jo just had a drunkenly goofy smile on her lips. Even with the pain, she was feeling good, the acid was still in effect. The world had never looked more vibrant... Maybe she should paint when she got back home.