𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 9: 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐚 𝐆𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐬𝐭𝛐𝐧𝐞𝐝

𝚸𝐞𝐠𝐠𝐲 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐒𝐭𝐞𝐯𝐞 were sitting out on the porch and enjoying a nice cup of coffee the next morning. The two of them would usually be out by the time Jo woke up. They spent most days out of the house and got back when Bucky would be done with his work.

Jo sat down at the table and started pouring herself a glass of water.

"Morning," Steve said with a smile as he refilled Peggy's cup.

"You two stayed in early today," she replied, and Peggy giggled a little. Gross. Sure, it was nice she was happy and with the same guy she had dated since high school. But ew.

"Buck said he wasn't gonna work today so we're catching a movie in an hour," Steve said and took a bite of the toast.

"Sounds fun..." her mind was immediately clouded with Bucky and the conversation they had yesterday. The ride back home had been silent, neither of them saying a word.

"The three of you going to hang by the river again?" He asked, and she nodded while thoroughly enjoying the cherries they still hadn't finished. "Great! Bucky and I were going to do some barbecue for dinner, anything specific you want?"

Jo shrugged a little impressed by how energetic Steve could be at 9 am. "We might go into town. Tony's getting pretty tired of swimming every day. So, we can just pick up whatever on the way back."

"Sounds like a lovely idea," Peggy mumbled, too preoccupied by the newspaper now, and Steve pressed a kiss to the side of her head.

╼ 𓇣☀️𓇣 ╾

The Camaro rolled through the streets of Oakworth Hills – calmly compared to what it usually did. Pietro was sitting halfway outside of the backseat window, arms placed on top of the roof and legs dangling on the inside. Tony and Jo could hear him drumming along to the music on the roof and shouting directions to them now and again.

"What exactly did Sarah say?" Tony asked as they drove by the girl's house.

"Dude, I've told you twice already," Jo groaned and turned left on the street down towards the harbour. "She put extra emphasis on you, forgetting about me and Pietro. If you wanna know if she's single just call her."

"You talking about a certain pretty redhead again?" Pietro stuck his head into the car, grinning at Tony. As always, the blond was sitting out of the car window, feeling the wind blowing through his hair.

"Of course, we are," Jo smirked, "you don't think Tony would actually be able to talk about anything else, do you?"

"Yeah, maybe I was expecting too much," Pietro laughed while Tony dramatically rolled his eyes and looked out of the window.

"She did call earlier today though."

"She did!" Tony turned to Pietro who was looking eternally smug.

"Yup, asked if we were down for, and I quote, 'chilling today'. Told her we might show up," Pietro explained, and Jo turned the car around. There was no use in going to the harbour if they were the only ones there.

The car drove straight through town instead. The exact opposite direction of the Ivory House. There were a few trails on the other side of town, camping spots and stuff like that. With the river being as unpredictable as it was, no one wanted to place hiking spots or camps around the Ivory House. It changed too much from year to year.

Sarah and her friends had a smoke spot on that side of town, a cliffside that overlooked the harbour. Daring each other to jump was some of the funniest and dumbest stuff they did when they got too high.