𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 28: 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐫𝐞𝐜𝛐𝐧𝐧𝐞𝐜𝐭

𝚴𝛐 𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐡𝛐𝐰 badly Jo tried to imagine the buildings around them disappearing, it never happened. They kept rising and growing, more showing up by the second, and creating the city she knew better than she would have liked to.

Her mood was lessening as the wild trees were replaced with ones planted in straight lines along the road. Every single bush was placed in fabricated spots meant to cancel noise or cover the monotone architecture. She detested it. The air became thicker too, warmth turning humid and thick.

"Where are we going first?" Bucky asked, eyebrows furrowed because of the way she was looking.

Her joyous mood had been killed immediately, and he wanted to be done with this as quickly as possible, take her back out to the country.

"Wanda's," Jo sighed, a small smile on her lips. "Need to get her to ready up if she hasn't already."

It was only a little later than noon, but she would prefer if they got back to the Ivory House before it became dark out. He thought about asking her if she had decided to tell Wanda about them yet, but he chose not to. That question wasn't one she needed right now.

"Where's her house?"

It wasn't always like this for Jo when she was in the city. The contrast between being at the Ivory House and being in the city just hit much harder when going between the two. Some adjustment time usually did wonders, but they wouldn't be staying long. This was a brief visit. A few hours of suffocation, and then she could breathe again.

"Make a left down the first road before my house," she sighed and pulled back her hair, putting it up in a tight ponytail. Their houses were on the outskirts of town, so it wouldn't be long until they got there. "Do you mind waiting in the car? I didn't have time to tell her you were coming."

"Yeah, that's fine, Doll," Bucky said and sent her a comforting smile, giving her thigh a squeeze.

He had never seen her this down in the dumps. Her leg was impatiently bouncing up and down while her head drooped on the window as her eyes watched the buildings flowing past them. Some of the people recognised the yellow Camaro. It was a little dirty after the drive, but still loud as ever, and the people in this part of town had seen it before. It had been a staple of the Carter's since Harrison had bought it in 1969.

Her mom had been furious when he first bought it, not that she would show her true emotions, but an argument had risen. It wasn't a child-friendly car and with two girls under 12 there wasn't much use for it. Harrison had argued that he would gift the car to the girls when they were old enough. He had kept that promise.

Jo recognised every house on the street. She knew exactly who they belonged to and what pranks or stupid things they had done to the residents of each ones. Her greatest achievement might have been when they toilet papered the Samson's residence. Even Pietro had been impressed with her throws.

"That's the pad," she said, a smile spreading on her lips.

She was pointing at a yellow house with a vibrantly red roof.

"Nifty," Bucky mumbled and parked the car against the curb.

"I'll just tell her what's going on and then come get you," Jo grinned.

The veil that had been around her head was lifting with the prospect of seeing Wanda.

"Take your time, honey." Jo went to grip the door, but he grabbed her wrist. "I think you're forgetting something."

"What?" She asked, but then saw the look in his eyes.

The grin on her lips widened as he cupped her jaw and pulled her closer. Bucky softly kissed her, leaving a lingering touch that only made her want more. He started breaking them apart, but she bit down on his bottom lip, slowly letting go.