𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 49: 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐥𝐲 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐬

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐥𝛐𝐮𝐝𝐬 𝐢𝐧 the sky kept gathering, looming and swirling far above. Like the current of the river, they were a sea of grey, promising rain each and every morning. Jo had forgotten what she had thought the summer would be like when she first got here, but the rain made sure to remind her. Everything was different, for better or worse.

She wanted to close her eyes again, slip away in her dreams to those first summer days. A lot of things were easier back then. Many others were more difficult. Which part she liked the best was still a mystery.

But one thing was sure. Jo missed the sun.

Her windows were cracked open, allowing the sound of rain to slither into the room like the most unwelcome guest. The only thing making the morning just a bit better, was the warmth of Bucky's body lying next to her. His large frame encompassed most of her body, and she reached out her hand, stroking a lock of brown hair away from his face.

He was almost on his stomach, both an arm and a leg swung over her, while his cheeks were squished against the pillow. Maybe this summer wasn't too bad, after all. A slight pout was on his lips along with a soft smile. Not quite a smirk, but close.

A purring hum left him as she swept her hand through his hair. He was stirring, so she carefully pulled her hand away, she didn't want him to wake up just yet. Bucky pulled her closer in his sleep, pressing her into his chest.

Outside of her window, she could still see the trees swaying in the wind, and she wondered if the breeze was warm like yesterday or if that too had taken a turn for the worse, much like the rest of the weather.

It meant another day with people staying inside of the Ivory House. Another day, with hours upon hours, where she and Bucky wouldn't be alone. It was fine. Those stolen glances and touches were still something. Just not as much as she wanted them to be. Being alone with him was better than anything else.

"I'm up, you know," Bucky's raspy voice sounded, and she looked up at him, kissing his chest.

"Go back to sleep. I wanna look at your sleeping face a little longer," she sighed deeply and combed her fingers through his hair again. The smile spread on his face, enjoying her touch and her words. "Stop that! Your sleeping face doesn't grin like an idiot."

"Is that what I'm doing?" He asked and opened one eye to look at her. "Grinning like an idiot?"

"Oh, I dunno... you tend to do it when I'm around," she giggled and moved up to kiss his cheeks and bring his head into her chest.

"This isn't exactly making me sleepy," Bucky grinned and kissed the side of her breast, slowly licking her skin, and a rush of comfortable warmth rose in her.

"Stop and sleep," she laughed out while his arm wrapped fully around her, pressing her closer to him with a hand on her back. "James." She spoke his name as a warning.

"What?" He said in the same warning tone while kissing across her chest, getting closer and closer to her quickly hardening nipple.

"That really doesn't feel like sleep," she sighed, running a hand through his hair while her leg seemed to sling over his hips by some kind of magnetic pull, and he let out a hoarse chuckle.

"Doesn't seem like you mind it either," he mumbled and wrapped his lips around her nipple, sucking lightly while his tongue swirled around the bud. Jo let out a soft moan while her back arched to him, body already needing more.

"God," she heavily breathed, "You'll be the death of me."

"Good thing I don't mind that," he grinned and rolled onto his back, pulling her on top of him, and she followed without a second thought. Her hand not on his head raked down his back, clawing at his skin.