𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 38: 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐚 𝐆𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬 𝐛𝐚𝐝 𝐝𝐞𝐜𝐢𝐬𝐢𝛐𝐧𝐬 𝐭𝛐 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐟𝐮𝐧

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐮𝐧 𝐰𝐚𝐬 sitting in the sky with a great floral hat, calmly watching the busy bees and people bustling below in the town of Oakworth Hills. Like an old woman, with kind-looking features, would watch school kids laugh. There was happiness for the innocence and lack of knowledge about how cruel the world truly was, and a wish to go back to that time herself. To a time when things weren't complicated and nothing except what the next game would be mattered.

The sun looked down upon the teenagers basking by the river in a different light. There was as much happiness in them, but they were starting to learn, see the brutal ways humans could act. If the sun had the choice, she would make sure everyone stayed children forever and build the world around them instead. Things would be better that way. A sigh left the sun, while the four teenagers felt it as a mild and warm breeze flowing through their hair.

"So, sunshine, how're things with Barnes?" Wanda asked and grabbed Jo's attention from the two men out in the water.

Tony and Pietro wanted to soak for longer. She couldn't blame them. The sun was more scorching than it had been any other day. Sitting in the shade barely relieved them of anything.

"We talked," she tried to carelessly shrug, but the smirk was already widening. It had a tendency to do that whenever she thought about him.

"Waow," Wanda sarcastically said, "don't give too many details now."

"Funny," Jo scoffed and rolled her eyes. "We talked about that summer."

"Snaps, really? How did that go?"

"I was fine... Turns out his dad caught wind that we'd been hanging out – to the surprise of no one, his dad doesn't like me. Anyway, he sent Buck to a city where he could focus on the business, whatever that means."

"It means you haven't even met the guy's parents, and they already hate you," Wanda laughed and flipped to another page in her book. "But who can blame them?"

"Always so supportive, Wands," Jo huffed and reached for her pack of cigarettes. That might be able to calm her down a bit. At times, Wanda could really get on her nerves – she thought about things too much. It was the hardest part about not doing any serious drugs. Jo was thinking so fucking much, her head had never been louder or more of a mess. The fumes started filling up her lungs.

"Sorry," Wanda said and did a fake pout.

"I told him I loved him," Jo said, and her friend's eyes immediately widened.

"Holy hell! Dude, that's big."

She blew out the smoke, letting it rise up into the air.

"Yeah, you don't have to tell me that... he said it back too," she smiled, it was nice telling someone about them. Even if it was someone who didn't like Bucky.

"Isn't that moving a little quick, though?" Wanda warily asked and put her book fully down.

"Maybe," Jo shrugged. Of course, it fucking was. "I don't care."

"You don't sound too sure about that," she said and tilted her head down to get her friend's attention.

"It's quick – I know that – but it feels right, too. You were the one who first made me think about my feelings," Jo shot back, and Wanda nodded, she wasn't wrong.

"Didn't think you'd go and tell him you loved him immediately, though," she said with a chuckle and shook her head. "I can't believe you're actually dating Bucky Barnes. This has to be some sick nightmare."

She had never thought it would end like this between them, either. Even that summer, she was thinking about a quick fuck, at most. Nothing else. Jo didn't remember if her feelings had felt like more back then. All she knew was that things were different now. Bucky was different, or maybe she was. In the end, it didn't matter. Jo liked spending time with him, being around him.