𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 45: 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐰𝛐𝐫𝐤𝐬

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐰𝛐𝐫𝐤 𝐬𝐡𝛐𝐰 in Oakworth Hills for the 4th of July had been set up on a floating raft out in the water. Far enough so everyone both by the harbour and further into the streets of the city would be able to see the exploding light all the same.

The boot to the Camaro had been shut, and the car turned around. Bucky and Jo were lying on the hood of the car, drinking their respective beers and chain-smoking, as they spoke about all of the stupid things on – mostly – her mind.

"I'm, like, 70% sure that Tony knows about us," she mindlessly said while playing with his fingers on the hand that was drawn over her shoulders.

"Why's that?" Bucky asked, looking down at her with a warm smile. Both of their backs carefully rested against the front windscreen.

"I mean, he said like two weeks ago he knew something was going on between us," she shrugged while he let out a laugh.

"But you're still only 70% sure?"

"Well, he hasn't said anything yet." She said and calmly took a sip of her beer.

"Probably because he wants you to tell him on your own."

"You think so? I guess he did look a little offended this morning when I said I had already told Wanda," she mused and started running her finger around the mouth of the bottle.

"It's what I would want in that situation." Bucky shrugged. "To give you the lowdown, I think you should tell everyone."

"I'm working on it," Jo sighed and leaned back against his arm, turning her head and kissing his skin. "I've got less than a week to tell her."

"Speaking of your birthday, what do you want me to get you?" Bucky couldn't hide the smile on his face. There were plenty of ideas in his head.

"Nothing," she replied and took another sip of the beer.

"I have to get you something."

"You don't have to."

"Fine, but I want to. So, you can either give me some direction, or I'll just buy you a bunch of different shit."

His voice was warm as he spoke, and Jo let out a bright laugh while shaking her head. She tried to give it some thought. Most things that she needed were things she got on her own. The last time she had gone shopping, he had bought everything for her, too – didn't even give her the chance to pay for her supplies.

"I guess paint? That's the only thing I keep using." Jo shrugged. She doubted he would agree that the things he had bought her last could be her birthday present. He wasn't the type for something such as that.

"I'll come up with something better, doll," Bucky grinned and sent her a wink.

"Sure, you will," she sighed and rolled her eyes. "Have you ever thought about writing something?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you wanted to major in literature or writing, right?" It felt like forever since they talked about that, and she never actually got around to asking him. She kept forgetting about it.

"Oh. Yeah... I thought about it and had a few ideas, but I never put anything down on a page," Bucky said, and she looked up at him with bright eyes.

"You should start writing," she excitedly said and squeezed his hand while he lightly laughed.

"I don't know when I'd have the time for that," he said and drank from his beer, raising his eyebrows once.

"That's such a bullshit excuse."