𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 43: 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐜𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐛𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝛐𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐡

𝐉𝛐 𝐝𝐢𝐝𝐧'𝐭 𝐤𝐧𝛐𝐰 if the wind had picked up, or by fault of the acid, the trees were swelling and shrinking. Wanda was getting all of them into the Camaro. Not that they couldn't function on their own, but she was the soberest one in the group. They were all having too much fun. If she was behind the wheel, she might start wildly swerving for the fun of it, and Wanda didn't like the sound of that.

"Man, my car is so fucking yellow," she chuckled and ran her hand along with the hood, loving the black stripes moving through it. She opened up the door and got into the passenger seat. "I'm really glad you're my friend, Wands."

"Hey, dude, what about us?" Pietro asked from the back while she was comfortably aware of how cool the leather seats were. It felt so nice against her skin, like she was drinking a cool and crisp glass of water on a warm day. A warm day like the kind of day it was today.

"I love summer," Jo smiled and rolled her head to the back seat where the two men were smiling at her, just as stoned as her. "Yeah, I'm glad you're my friend, Pit... You too, Tone. You're good friends."

"Man, you guys are so fucking funny," Tony said and messed with his hair, pulling on it to see it.

"Holy fuck. I'm barely able to function," Wanda laughed and dug the keys out of Jo's pocket on her leather jacket, putting them in the ignition.

"Dude, I'm feeling fucking stellar," she said and felt her tongue warp around her mouth with the last word.

"Yeah, I'm groooovy," Pietro laughed and rolled down the window, sticking out his head. His head moved back a bit because of the wind.

"Man, everyone's gonna know how stoned we are," Tony laughed out, cackling, and Jo stuck her hand out of the window. The wind tasted sweet, like gummy bears and sugar cookies.

The city was brimming with people closer to the harbour, cars were everywhere, and booths were still getting set up. On the sand, little spaces were made where people were setting up makeshift grills, and there looked to be enough to feed the whole town.

The young adults all got out of their cars, all of them high, or drunk, or something in between. The sun was slowly setting, darkening the surrounding area, and Jo could feel her stomach growling. Her hair was still wet as it was in a mess around her shoulders. It was like she could taste her damp tips touching her shoulders.

"We need to go play some of those games," Pietro said, smiling up at the sky as they all started walking past Mrs Anderson's ice cream store and towards the boardwalk and beach. Sarah and Melissa were there soon enough, just as high as they snuggled up to Tony and Pietro.

"I mean, you two can head out if you wanna," Jo smirked, watching the colours of the darkening sky as they swirled together before her eyes. "Right, Wands?"

"Yeah, that's fab," she replied and threw the keys back to Jo. She was still able to catch them, at least.

"Alright, cool," Pietro chuckled and glanced down at Melissa, who grinned widely up at him. "Let's skitty then."

"We'll be back," Tony said, pointing from Pietro and back to them.

"Go have your fun," Jo chuckled and wrapped her arm into Wanda's. Amy, David, and Randy came over at the same time, glancing between the two women.

"You know, imma go watch the sunset. Sit on the beach, feel the sand," Randy said, while Jo spotted Mr and Mrs Smith a little further down the road. They, too, were making their way towards the boardwalk. If she wasn't stoned, she would've gone to say hi. She leaned closer to Wanda instead.

"I want to go find Bucky," she said, grinning widely, and Wanda rolled her eyes.

"Of course, you do," she huffed and looked at Amy. "What time is it?"