𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 29: 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐜𝛐𝐦𝐞 𝐡𝛐𝐦𝐞

"𝐘𝛐𝐮 𝐤𝐧𝛐𝐰 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 chick that used to dance a lot!" Jo sang the lyrics to the song on the radio at the top of her lungs while the Camaro roared along the road.

"Every night she'd be on the floor, shakin' what she's got!" Wanda shouted out, shimmying her shoulders in the passenger seat.

"Man when I tell you she was cool, she was red hot!" Jo sang back at her.

Trees flashed past the window while the hair on both women was flinging around the headrests.

"I mean, she was steamin'." Wanda dramatically sang, tilting her head to the side.

"And that time over at Johnny's place."

She acted like she was telling her own story, making Wanda laugh, and even Bucky gave an amused snort from the backseat. Wanda turned around in the seat, looking at him.

"Well, this chick-" she pointed at Jo. "-got up and she slapped Johnny's face."

Bucky smirked widely at Jo in the rearview mirror, and she blew him a kiss.

"Man, we just fell about the place," She shouted out and pressed down on the gas pedal. Bucky pulled himself up, a hand on each side of her seat, and he kissed her cheek.

"If that chick don't wanna know, forget her," Wanda sang in the background.

"The boys are back in town!" The two girls yelled at the top of their lungs, still barely able to drown out the radio.

"The boys are back in town," Bucky sang much more quietly, but Jo's eyes propelled to him, wide open. He had a good voice.

"I said the boys are back in town!" Wanda yelled, pulling her attention back to the song, and Bucky fell to the backseat again, so Jo could keep her eyes on the road.

You might think that two 19-year-old girls would eventually get tired of singing the same 10 songs. Bucky at least thought they would. It didn't turn out like that. There were times when they just talked – as loudly as the music.

He was pretty amused by most of it. They talked a lot about old stuff, and it gave him a new perspective. One that showed how impulsive she really was. Randomly stealing records, playing chicken in the Camaro, going skinny-dipping... he realised how often she got high too. Not a particularly good thing to him, but it wasn't any of his business for the time being. 

Bucky let them be for most of the ride, somewhat. He read one of the books he had grabbed from home, his back against the door, and he kept a hand on Jodie's seat. He slowly caressed the back of her neck until he got too distracted by the book, and it became a mere lingering touch.

After 6 hours, the familiar crackling of gravel sounded beneath the wheels of the yellow car. Jo had time to catch her friend up on everything from college to meeting Joan Semmel and the paintings she was doing.

"I'll go in and say hi, give you two some time alone," Wanda said as they all got out of the car. Bucky had pulled his bag from home out with him, swinging it over his shoulder. "But I'm watching you, Barnes."

She pointed a finger at him, grabbing one bag from the boot and running up the five stone steps.

Jo sauntered up to Bucky, while he smirked down at her with a glint in his eyes. She ran her fingers up the buttons of the shirt, pulling him a little closer to her. No one was looking from the windows to their luck.

"I had fun today," she sighed, beaming up at him with big bright eyes.

"Yeah, me too," Bucky lowly chuckled and grabbed onto her waist with his free hand. They were still partially covered by the car.