𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 51: 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐚 𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐡𝛐𝐦𝐞

𝐉𝛐 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐢𝐧 the driver's seat of the yellow Camaro. Her duffel bag was on the backseat, and Bucky sat beside her with a wet towel, trying to clean up his hands. The wipers on the windscreen were quickly going back and forth, screeching against the glass as rain poured and brought with it a loud rumble.

The rain was all she could think about. She had just left her family home forever. Jo knew she would never have a conversation with her dad again. He would never speak to her. What was she even supposed to feel? There was the relief of being out, being free. They couldn't do anything to her. They couldn't touch her or keep her back. The smile widened. Her parents had nothing on her.

"Feels good, huh?" Bucky chuckled, and she sharply exhaled, astonished by everything that had just transpired.

"I can barely wrap my head around it. Shit!" She loudly laughed and threw her head back. "We fucking did that!"

"Of course." He smirked. "Hey, uh." His face scrunched up a bit. "What happened with your dad..."

Her eyes trailed to him, and Jo felt her jaw tense.

"It's okay," she reassured. "I dunno how to feel about it, really, but right now, I'm okay with it. From what I could see, you were both trying to hit each other, and you got in first."

Bucky nodded and sent her a soft smile. It didn't take long before they reached his house, and she heard the large rocks crackling underneath the wheels as they rolled up the long driveway leading to his home. Jo was almost sure that it used to be smaller than this, but most of the time she had been high or tipsy while driving here. That always messed with her scale of things. The red-bricked... mansion, really, stood tall and proud, fastened to the earth with strong foundations. It looked right here

"When did you say your dad was getting back?" She mumbled while leaning forward to look through the windscreen and through the rain.

"Not until summer is over. We can stay here as long as we have to." Bucky reached behind them and grabbed the duffel bag. "Just run inside, and I'll grab the rest."

"You can't carry everything on your own," she argued and put a hand on his shoulder, sliding the strap to the duffel bag off. "If you wanna be a big, strong man, you can grab the things from the trunk, but I'm taking this."

"Honey, you're gonna ruin my sense of masculinity," Bucky complained as she rolled her eyes.

"What is it with you rich boys and your dramatics?"

"I'm not dramatic."

"Fine. Theatrical?"

Bucky had never looked more straight-faced, and she sent him a toothy grin before she pushed open the door and hopped out into the rain. She ran as fast as she could up the massive stone steps with the winding railing.

Standing beneath the overhang in front of the door, she wrung her clothes and hair, trying to get rid of the water, while Bucky jumped out of the car and yanked their bags from the trunk. With a slam, it was shut. Bucky hopped up next to her with a set of keys, and he quickly opened up the door.

Jo was faced with a massive entryway, larger than any she had seen before. The floor was marble, shiny enough to reflect them and their muddy shoes. The droplets from them echoed in the building as they hit. Two sets of stairs led up to the upper floor on both sides. Right ahead, was a large living room with enough space for a family of five to live comfortably, and to the right of it, was a kitchen of almost the same size.

She had never felt more out of place.

"Oh, you're definitely rich, rich," she stated and dropped off the duffel bag, walking across the marble and onto the tiles in the kitchen.