𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 10: 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐚 𝐆𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐜𝛐𝐧𝐟𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝛐𝐧

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐂𝐚𝐦𝐚𝐫𝛐 𝐰𝐚𝐬 a yellow flash through the green trees surrounding the road. Tony was laughing with Sarah in the backseat while Jo was heavily breathing, and Randy, not knowing what was going on, goofily smiled as he enjoyed the ride.

"What were you grabbing anyway?" Tony chuckled as Sarah kissed his neck.

He started unzipping the old duffel bag. Jo looked at him in the rear-view mirror and then back at the road. Letting Peggy see her in the state she was in had been a little stupid. Maybe her sister didn't care about her drinking, but smoking weed wasn't exactly something she had cleared with her yet.

Then there was Bucky and the way he had looked at her. She knew that angry glare quite well from their time back at school, and it wasn't one she enjoyed being the subject off. Not right now, at least. She used to love it.

"Paint?" Tony questioned, pulling up the bucket and the brushes. Jo slowly blinked and sharply exhaled.

"Well, you know the wall of Mrs Anderson's ice cream store?" She asked, mischievous grin on her lips and Tony cocked an eyebrow.

"What about it?"

"I always thought it was a little too bland for my taste," she laughed and turned down the street to the harbour as they entered the town once again.

The Camaro rushed past the houses in the outer part of the city, passing Mr Wallace's store and Echo, which was currently closed, on the way. Driving along the coast they could see the various ships having their cargo taken off, different wares coming into town by the seaway.

The small pier wasn't much to talk about. Only about 200 feet in length, and most of it was renting places for surfboards, kayaks or other sea related activities. Not that the beach part of the place was very big, being about the same length as the pier itself and barely shielded from the ships.

Pietro, Melissa, Amy and David were sitting on the wooden walk with their legs hanging out over the edge of the water. Jo had pulled the duffle bag over her shoulders, and she bounced towards Amy and David, putting a hand on both of their shoulders.

"Why don't the two of you come help me out?" She asked with that same distinct mischievous glint in her eyes. Amy and David glanced to each other, and the grins spread on their faces at the same time.

"Don't have to tell me twice," Amy chuckled and rushed up from her set, leaving room for Tony and Sarah. "You coming, Randy?" The black-haired man looked at them, glancing to the couples, and with a careless shrug, he followed.

Mrs Anderson's ice cream store was a small building coloured the prettiest hues of baby blue and soft pink, but it was in boring squares, perfectly cut off. It didn't allow any imagination. The store itself had closed for the day, no customers coming around during the afternoon.

Jo swung the bag around to her front and pulled out the bucket of white paint, not the most imaginative colour either, but it would help. She took out the three brushes, taking the largest one for herself.

"Who wants to paint?" She laughed, and Amy immediately grabbed one. The last one was between David and Randy then.

"I don't know, Mrs Anderson has always been really nice to me..." David backed off, and Jo rolled her eyes. Randy gave another shrug and took the brush out of her hand.

"We're not trying to be malicious," she added towards David who was becoming increasingly squeamish as Amy cracked open the paint. "I think we're just helping her out."

Jo took the lead, that almost childish bounce in her step as she was the first to dip her brush in the bucket. There wasn't anyone else around. Most stores closed in the afternoon unless it was a restaurant. Some of them would open later in the evening while others had called it for the day.