𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 16: 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞'𝐬 𝐚 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐲

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐮𝐧𝐬𝐞𝐭 𝐬𝐡𝐞 had watched last night was etched in her mind. Not only because of who had been beside her, but because of the wonderful shades of colours she had seen. Some might say it was cheesy of her to paint the wall behind her bed after that specific sunset, but to anyone other than her, it would look like a normal sunset.

No one had to know it was also the first time Bucky kissed her. Jo didn't lock the door to her room when she returned from the paint store. She didn't mind anyone seeing this. Pietro and Tony weren't up before noon. They looked worse than she did.

Peggy and Steve were fixing up the porch, while Bucky sat on his usual place in the kitchen, working on whatever it was he did.

The wall started up high with the clearest sky-blue colour, and then the clouds slowly turned fluffy and pink, floating as they met with the golden pour that turned deeper and deeper. Then orange, the clearest amber, before forming to dark red around the glowing sun placed right behind the headboard of her bed.

Jo was pretty pleased with it, if she had to say so herself. When dinner came around, she was done with the base colours. Highlights and deeper shades still needed to be added, and the transition between the colours could be better, but that could wait until tomorrow.

"What on earth have you been painting?" Peggy laughed after Jo had washed her hands and sat down at the table in the dining room.

"What?" She unknowingly asked, a bright smile on her face. Being this satisfied with a painting already was so rare to her. Bucky poked her leg underneath the table and put the end of his fork up to the side of his cheek.

She scraped her thumb along with the place he pointed out and a bit of colour rubbed off.

"Oh," she giggled, "I'm doing a sunset."

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Bucky's eyes shoot to her, and the smirk was plastered on his face.

"A sunset, huh?" Steve asked. "That sounds beautiful. Peggy says you don't like showin' off your stuff... what about that?"

"Depends on how much alcohol you get me tonight," Jo laughed back, and her mood was much too high to care about them coming to Randy's party later tonight.

"You know what? That's a deal," Steve seriously pointed his fork at her and then slung his large hand over the table. Jo grabbed it and gave it a dramatic shake while Tony and Pietro snickered. She was the one supposed to pay for drinks tonight, and saving a bit of cash wouldn't hurt.

"It's going to be fun seeing your friends again," Peggy chuckled and reminisced to herself. "... Amy, Melissa, Sarah... they're all so nice. What was the curly-haired boy's name?"

"David?" Jo asked, sending her sister a slight smile.

"Yeah, that's it. He's a good kid." Jo nodded. David was a bit of a scaredy-cat, but nothing so bad she couldn't convince him to come along anyway. She was a terrible influence.

"Wasn't it last year you got him to crawl onto-" Pietro received an elbow to the side from Jo, silencing him immediately.

"Nope, don't think I did that," she graciously said while Bucky softly smiled at her. If it wasn't for her constantly having her eyes on him, she wouldn't even have noticed it. He wasn't too bad at this whole sneaking around thing.

"No, I think it was the summer before that she convinced him to play dead in the water, and he had to stay out there for three hours to not get beat up," Tony nonchalantly said.

Halfway through his sentence, Jo had launched, but because of Pietro between them, she couldn't get him to shut his mouth in time. Bucky audibly chuckled, while both Steve and Peggy sent her their most scrutinizing gaze.