Kalos Part 1

The sun was rising above Prism Tower which reflected a glistening rainbow of light all over Lumiose City. The air was cool and refreshing as a new day started in the Kalos region. A breeze gently swayed a flock of Fletchling towards Professor Sycamore's research lab located on the south boulevard of the city.

Professor Sycamore is known in Kalos as the expert on the bonds between a Trainer and Pokemon that causes the phenomena called mega evolution. This event causes a pokemon to temporarily change its form past its final stage of evolution as well as unlock stronger powers that can be used in battles.

However, Professor Sycamore does not do this work alone. He has a handful of Assistants and a live-in Research Fellow. Which brings us to the beginning of our story.

The light that reflected off of Prism Tower fluttered into the bedroom of Professor Sycamore's live-in Research Fellow, Vilnis. The warmth of daybreak made him realize that the lab would be opening soon. Vilnis had gotten up before the sun rose that day to polish and organize his collection of specialty Pokeballs. Collecting Pokeballs had been his favorite hobby from a young age. The very first Pokeball he ever obtained was a Moon Ball that his older brother sent to him from his travels in the Johto region. From that moment on, he developed a passion for collecting rare and unique Pokeballs. Aside from his cherished Moon Ball, Vilnis's collection consisted of a Heal Ball, a Quick Ball, two Dusk Balls, a Dive Ball, a Friend Ball, and a Heavy Ball.

As the sunlight illuminated the room, Vilnis finished polishing the Quick Ball and placed it back on the display he built that rested on the floating shelf above his desk. He then grabbed his lab coat that was hanging on a hook on the back of his door and then slipped his arms through the sleeves. Stopping by the mirror next to the door, Vilnis brushed his hand through his wavy chestnut brown hair and adjusted the collar of his lab coat so it was straight.

"I wonder what assignment the Professor is going to send me on today?" Vilnis said to himself out loud as he exited his room. While making his way to Professor Sycamore's office, he reminisced on the path that led him to his job as a Research Fellow. From a young age, Vilnis was always fascinated by Pokemon and their nature and abilities. Many people become Pokemon Trainers at the age of ten and go on journeys, catching Pokemon, challenging gyms, and entering Pokemon Leagues trying to be the very best. This was the path that Vilnis's brother took. However, Vilnis was more interested in observing Pokemon and studying about their habitats and lifestyles. So when the time came for him to qualify to become a Pokemon Trainer, he decided to attend a Summer course at Professor Oak's lab in the Kanto region instead.

At the Summer course, Vilnis was able to feed, groom, and care for the Pokemon that lived at Professor Oak's lab. His time there sparked a greater interest in studying Pokemon. Vilnis then went on to attend school with the intent to become a Pokemon Professor. Nearing the end of his studies, he took an internship position at Professor Rowan's lab in the Sinnoh region. Professor Rowan was even kind enough to help Vilnis get the job of a live-in Research Fellow at Professor Sycamore's lab so he could be closer to his home in Vaninille Town.

Vilnis shook his head in order to concentrate as he approached the door to Professor Sycamore's office. He then knocked gently on the door and entered.

"Good morning, Vilnis," said the professor. "I trust you slept well?"

"Good morning. Yes, I slept fine. I actually got up early this morning to work on a personal project."

"Wonderful! My assistants aren't here yet, so I was hoping you could run a few errands for me until they get here."

"Of course," Vilnis replied. "What needs to be done?"

Professor Sycamore clasped his hands together and made a face that showed his gratitude. "Thank you so much, Vilnis. I'm just expecting an important phone call from Professor Oak. Otherwise I'd do it myself. First, can you feed the Pokemon in the observatory? Then, I'll need you to go to the Pokemon Center on Magenta Plaza to pick up some medical supplies from Nurse Joy. Our clinic is running low on some of the necessities. I'll send a list of items to your phone. I'll also call Nurse Joy and let her know to expect you. And while you're out, why don't you stop and get something to eat? I'll send you some money. Consider it a thank you for running my errands."