Johto Part 8

"Here we are," The Captain announced. "Shamouti Island. The sun should be rising soon and the villagers here will be thrilled to see visitors, so make yourselves at home!"

"Thank you for taking us all the way here," Vilnis said. "You don't know how important it is that we made it here."

"Yes, thank you!" Akito added. "We truly appreciate your help."

"No need to thank me," The Captain said, lifting his hat. "I'm happy to help out a Champion and his friends. Now, you'll have to excuse me. I must get going. I have a delivery to make on another island." Vilnis and Akito waved goodbye as the Captain sailed away on his boat.

"According to the map on my phone, it looks like the Island Shrine is at the top of that hill." Akito said as they walked in the direction of the village. "It actually looks over a cliff."

"That would make sense," Vilnis said. "Looking out over the sea. Since Lugia is called the Beast of the Sea."

Light began to shine in the sky as the sun came up over the east horizon when Vilnis and Akito arrived at the shrine. There were large crystal pillars that encircled the shrine. Just outside of the pillars were three pedestals that looked out over the sea.

"Interesting shrine," Vilnis said. "But how do we contact Lugia?" He placed his hand on one of the crystal pillars.

"Do not touch that!" A young woman shouted as she leapt from behind the pedestal. She pointed a large spear at Vilnis. "You are intruders. Intruders will be eliminated!"

Umbreon jumped in front of Vilnis and let out a protective growl. Prinplup also stood ready to protect Vilnis and Akito.

"You are those people from before, aren't you?" The young woman asked, not letting her guard down. "Leave this Island now!"

"Hold on!" Vilnis said. "You're mistaken. We've never been here before. We've come here for help!"

"I don't believe you!" The woman shouted. "You've already taken Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres and now you're back for Lugia!"

"Wait just a second," Akito said. "Please let us explain!"

"We're not those Pokemon Hunters. We're here because we're trying to stop them and free the Pokemon they've captured!" Vilnis explained.

"A likely story," The woman said, tightening her grip on the spear.

"They're telling the truth, Melody," A tender voice said. "I can sense it." Everyone turned their attention to see a Slowking enter the shrine. "Let's hear what they have to say."

"DID THAT SLOWKING JUST TALK!?" Vilnis and Akito asked, shocked.

"If Slowking says you can be trusted, then I'll give you a chance to explain yourselves," Melody said, lowering the spear. "Who are you people and why are you here?"

"My name is Vilnis and I am the Kalos League Champion," He explained. The woman looked Vilnis up and down and then made a shocked expression.

"Oh my goodness, you are the champion!" She shouted. "How could I have not noticed! I'm so embarrassed! Please forgive me!"

"It's alright," Vilnis replied. "This is my friend, Akito. We're here because we know about how the Pokemon Hunters have captured the Legendary Bird Trio. We need to summon Lugia."

"But why summon Lugia?" The woman asked. "Wouldn't that draw the attention of the Pokemon Hunters?"

"They're called the Beryl Foundation," Akito said. "We fear that they are targeting Ho-oh and Lugia. They attempt to capture legendary Pokemon and harness their power. They want to oppress all people and Pokemon."

"We've fought them on multiple occasions and have messed up their plans. But I worry that if we don't get to Ho-oh and Lugia before they do, there won't be a chance at stopping them," Vilnis said.

"They already have The legendary bird trio, as well as an Entei and Suicune that we know of," Akito said. "So we've come here to summon Lugia and ask for its help."

"That sounds like a mighty tall order," The woman said. "But I'll do what I can to help you all. My name is Melody and I am the Shrine Maiden of Shamouti Island. You've already met my partner over there." She pointed to the Slowking.

"They call me Slowking," It said. "I have been looking over this shrine for many years."

"Then tell us," Vilnis said. "How can we summon Lugia?"

"Come this way," Melody said. She led them to a marble slab that had words engraved on it. "This is the prophecy of Shamouti Island. It reads: Disturb not the harmony of fire, ice or lightning, lest these titans wreak destruction upon the world in which they clash. Though the water's great guardian shall arise to quell the fighting, alone its song will fail, thus the earth shall turn to ash. Oh, Chosen One. Into thine hands bring together all three. Their treasure combined, tame the Beast of the Sea."

"What does it mean? Chosen one?" Vilnis asked.

"Each year our village holds a festival where we summon Lugia," Melody answered. "A single Pokemon Trainer is chosen to go to those three islands and collect the three treasures, elements of fire, ice and lightning. They then bring them back here to the shrine and place each treasure on those pedestals. I, as the Shrine Maiden, must play the song that calls Lugia to the surface."

"Then those three islands must be the Fire, Ice, and Lightning Islands that Lance told us about," Akito wondered. "You said that the Pokemon Hunters took the Legendary Birds from those islands. How long ago was that?"

"It was a few days ago," Melody answered. "It was horrible. They ambushed them and then they placed these black rings around their necks. They all went into a trance and then entered their airship willingly. It was so strange."

"Black rings. Just like what Ethan saw back in Johto," Vilnis said. "Melody. I know that this is a huge favor for me to be asking. But if we went to collect those Island Treasures, could we summon Lugia here today?"

"I've never called Lugia to the shrine other than the day of the festival," Melody replied. "But this seems urgant. What do you think, Slowking?"

"If you don't try to summon Lugia, I'm afraid that there won't be another chance," Slowking said. "We should try."