Chapter 18: First Contact

It was a bright afternoon as Droz and Davis were doing their work in the office, along with Arona who was helping out here and there. She handed Droz a stack of documents. 

"Thanks, Arona." He patted her head briefly. "You're welcome, Sir Droz!" She happily answered before tiptoeing to somewhere. Droz looked over the topmost paper and grimaced at the content.

Arona

Arona

Sensing his comrade's annoyance/distress, Davis glanced at Droz. "Another one?" He asked him. "Mhm." Droz nodded as he inspected the content. "This time's bigger too..."

"I don't want to go back to the desert..."

"Shut up, you'll jinx us."

The three pilots have been receiving reports of tremors in the Abydos desert. Investigations were already underway, albeit with little results. The tremors vary in magnitude and duration with no apparent patterns appearing in the statistics of the quakes. Even the Abydos students were assigned to watch the desert for anything significant, to no avail.

The door to the office opened to reveal (Y/N). He wore his usual office attire, with his sidearm strapped somewhere. At this moment, he got a serious look on his face. "Gear up, we got a mission." He raised an envelope in his arm, presumably containing the details of their mission. "This one came from the top."

"Uh-huh. Where are we going to?" Droz asked the young pilot. "Abydos desert. I'll be going to the hangar first. Brief you there." He quickly left the two in the office.

Droz turned toward his friend. "You just had to say it, didn't you?" Droz deadpanned to Davis who was looking away from him.

--------------------

A black-haired woman with elven ears walked with a serious expression toward one of the rooms in the Schale building. She trudged on with a brisk pace, her objective clear with no more time to waste. It was Nanakami Rin, the Acting President of the General Student Council.