Chapter 19: Escape

"Damn it..."

You hissed out in pain as you rested your body against the wall. A first aid kit box was beside you, its contents already used. Binah did a number on you and your team, separating the three of you. That was last night. Now it's already afternoon as you sat in a dilapidated building, resting your weary body and soul.

You left your rocket launcher somewhere in the escape. You only had one magazine left for your submachine gun. Your comm was filled with nothing but static. The module that Prez installed was gone, reduced to atom.

You knew that no one in Kivotos was able to replicate what she created for your gear, not even Millennium, so it's back to manually suiting up again. No more fancy-schmancy magic to instantly make you combat-ready. 

To make matters worse, you got a few deep wounds as parting gifts. More specifically, your left arm and left leg got hit. You already treated it as best as you could to prevent infection. You could still use your limbs, though. Well, somewhat.

Who knew that Binah could shoot an actual laser beam out of its mouth. And missiles out of its back. What the hell were you up against?

You closed your eyes, hoping to get some more rest as your surrounding was eerily calm. Your mind, however, was a different story. For some reason, it kept replaying your past memories. Or, at least, what's left of them...

Your instinct flared up, causing you to point your gun in the dark corner of the room. "My, my, fancy meeting you here, Sensei..." A voice came out from the corner, one you recognized. Too damn well, in fact.

"Tsk, Black Suit. What the hell are you doing here?" You kept your aim on his head, ready to blast him to kingdom come should he try to be an opportunistic feeder. Like a vulture waiting to see what rots, he circled around you as you stood up.

"No need to get so aggressive, Sensei. I've told you that it wouldn't benefit us to make you our enemy, didn't I?" He said in a jestful tone as he opened his suit, showing the insides of it, just to let you know he is unarmed. "I've come to give you an advice, Sensei, seeing how you're in a pinch."

"Take this as our token of goodwill."

You slowly lowered your weapon, but your finger was still on the trigger. "Here, Mystics are everything, Sensei." He paced around you. "What seemed impossible could be made otherwise. A maker of miracles, in a sense. Truly astounding." He rambled on as the two of you looked out the window to see the remains of the once-prosperous Abydos.

"What are you getting at?"

"Ah, ah, I've said too much already. The rest is in your hands, Sensei." He moved toward the entrance behind you as you kept your eyes on him. "I look forward to seeing what you do." He said in an expecting tone, akin to a researcher waiting for great results from an experiment. "Remember, Mystic is the key, Sensei."

"After all, little Arona won't be standing here today without it."