Chapter 44: Predetermined Tragedy

All-encompassing darkness. Disturbed, by the white eyes that came to life, hiding a sadistic determination behind them. An unnoticeable grin on her face, as the new world was about to plunge into disorder. And her kind... thrives in absolute chaos.

Behind her, a darkened figure loomed. It whirred with anticipation, to which its partner nodded knowingly. On her left hip, glimmering energy hummed in white.

"Let us begin."

--------------------

Fire

Blood

Ash

"Grg!" You groaned in pain as your mind came to. You slowly opened your eyes, filling your vision with the dirt below, but blurred by the droplet of blood dripping from your forehead and blocked by a crack in your visor. "Ack!" You looked at your gloves, noticing that they were already ripped, revealing your bloodied palms. "Fuck..." Your head felt like it was being hammered repeatedly, while your body felt like something was weighing it down.

BOOM!

You looked around and felt like you were just dragged feet first into hell. But your mind quickly reminded you... that you were still on the living plane. Even when the world was burning around you and sporadic gunfire, explosions, and shouting filled the air.

Altus Communio Basilica.

The Old Cathedral of Communion. A massive cathedral, located in the Trinity sector. It was the place where the First Council of Nicaea was held. A beautiful place... at least before hell happened.

Beyond the cathedral, the fire burns.

"How did this... why..."

\\\\\/////

You stood before the Prefect Team building entrance. "Hello, Iori." You let out a little wave and cheerfully greeted the silvery-white-haired student, much to her grumbling. "Sensei..." And yet, she was still holding a slight smile as her subordinates giggled before going on ahead. Your gaze was directed toward her friends as they knowingly left the two of you. And as they did, you heaved a sigh filled with yearning. 

"Iori..."

"Ah." You let out a slightly surprised hum as your left hand was suddenly filled with a very fitting and familiar warmth. A warmth that you longed for so dearly in the time that you didn't see her. You glanced to your left, finding that she was holding on to your hand with no sign of letting go, clutching it so tightly between her interlocked fingers grazing against yours.

She looked away from you, hiding her face but revealing her crimson red ears toward you. You couldn't help but let out a silent chuckle. What choice did you have, other than to squeeze her hand in response?