Chapter 26: Recuperation

The girl who was in your arms had just returned with the doctor. Well, robot-doctor with a black visor that could express their emotions. A medical Marvin, you found yourself harboring such an amusing thought. Iori sat there beside you, holding your right hand with such a grip that it was hard for you to let go.

You've heard of unprotected handholding, but by the Gods, are you prepared for intertwining fingers?

She had stopped crying some time ago, but there was one thing bugging your mind. The fact that she apologized beside you told you that she was probably feeling extremely guilty. A problem that needed to be rectified.

"How long was I out?" You questioned the doctor. They had just mentioned that they already notified your fellow Pilots and other individuals about your awakening. No limbs were lost, but holy shit, your body felt weak as hell. You readied yourself for the answer, knowing that you won't like it one bit.

"Sir, you've been sleeping for a month."

'Fuck...' You cussed internally. "Considering your injuries before, I'd say it was a very fast recovery time. You have a... unique body."

"It was baffling that you could heal quite quickly like that. But then you would refuse to wake up, and I'm ashamed to say that we did all we could." They noted something with his tablet, the tapping noise replacing the quiet machine noise. "But you've woken up, so thankfully after a short check, we can let you go... approximately tomorrow or the day after." He swiped his tablet, checking on something.

"Would you like to see the extent of your previous injuries?"

"Hm... not now." You glanced over to Iori, who still had your hand in hers, but she looked so... down and glum. Your heart ached, seeing her like this. "But thanks for keeping me alive, doc." You said gratefully toward them.

Noticing your glance, they formed a smile on their visor and made a small nod. "You're most welcome, sir." They prepared to leave. Just as they were about to exit, they turned toward you. "But don't forget to thank her too. She has been visiting you almost every day." Their visor formed a wink at you as you chuckled exasperatedly at such an expression.

He slid the door close as you turned your attention toward the headstrong girl. As expected, she still looked downward, but this time her cheeks were red as roses. "Thank you... for waiting for me." You sighed contently as you squeezed her hand just that bit tighter, to let her know that you were there. She nodded demurely, her bangs hiding most of her face.

"But, Iori, look at me." At your words, she slowly reared her head at you, her visage somewhere between embarrassed... and guilty. "There is nothing for you to be sorry about." You reminded her, your tone stern and strong.

"E-Eh?" She squeaked cutely and widened her eyes. "W-What-" She stuttered her words, probably too surprised from hearing your words.

"The first thing I heard when I woke up was "I'm sorry". Knowing you, you probably blamed yourself for my injuries, no?" She flinched at the remark, probably because it hit the bullseye. "Good grief, you..." You sighed.