Chapter 12 - Better Days

Her

     It has been several months since Santi left. Like what he promised, I never saw his face again after I left the coffee shop. When he told me that my dad was sick, I felt a twinge of guilt and sadness. But my pride and hatred ruled over me. And so, I dismissed him just like that.

     I was never the same after learning the truth. My friends say that I was no longer the happy and carefree Carla that they've always known. I still went out with Raine and Jill every weekend to unwind but I never enjoyed it like how I used to. Raine even told me one night that the glow and luster in my eyes faded away.

     They pushed me to go on dates hoping that would help me bounce back and recover from this slump. I almost got into a relationship with Kyle, Mr. Archi Boy. But I knew that it would be unfair for him if I suddenly jumped and let him fill the void inside me. I don't need a band aid.

     Nobody can fill the void and emptiness that I've been feeling all this time. It's only me who can find out what will make me whole again. As if I built a wall around me that nobody can penetrate. Even Alecx, who never gave up calling me almost every day to cheer me up and talk sense to me, was not able to hammer that wall.

     She researched and tried to feed me information about my father hoping I would come around and patch things up with him. Apparently, Amir Ramirez is still a certified bachelor. She bragged about my dad being a well sought painter and a national artist in our country. He was the son of the late Don Antonio Ramirez, the richest man in the south. She found out that my family is well known for owning multiple plantation crops and is the leading distributor of fresh produce all over the country.

     But I didn't care. No amount of riches will make me come running to them. I have never been a materialistic person anyway. I don't care about extreme wealth. All I want is to be able to live comfortably. That's all.

     Suddenly, I heard a knock on my door. When I opened it, I saw Mrs. Smith's smiling face. She came back to her apartment after Santi left. She told me stories about how kind and wonderful Santi was. She was so sad when she discovered that he left. She thought the reason why Santi leased her apartment was because he liked me and that we would end up together. If she only knew the truth, I bet she would pass out.

     "Hello Carla. I just want to bring this over. Can you give this to Alecx when you see each other?" I looked at the neatly wrapped gift and got it from her.

     "Sure Mrs. Smith. I'll give this to her. I'm sure she'll be happy that you thought of her." I said smiling. Even though Mrs. Smith loves gossip and is an ultimate talker, she's very thoughtful and generous. Both me and Alecx like her a lot.

     "I hope she'll like my gift. Please take care of that, my dear. It's a vinyl record of Wynton Marsalis. That's fragile." I chuckled at her remark.

     "Of course, Mrs. Smith. I'll guard it with my life. I'm not going to check it in. I'll hand carry it if that will make you feel better."

     "Thanks Carla. I know you'll do that. What time is your flight tomorrow?"

     "I have an early morning flight. 8 AM." I replied.

     "Do you need any help with your luggage? I can bring you to the airport." She offered.

     "That's so nice of you Mrs. Smith but I'm good. I just have one checked in luggage, a hand carry and your gift." She laughed at my remark.

     "Okay then, I'll let you go. Have a safe flight. Say hi to Alecx for me. Tell her I miss her."

     "I will. Thanks Mrs. Smith. I'll see you when I return."

     As soon as I closed the door, I heard my phone ringing. I smiled upon seeing who it was. Speaking of the devil....

     "Hello Alecx!" I answered cheerfully.

     "Hello Bes! I'm just checking on you! Are you all packed?"

     "Yes Ma'am. All my bags are packed. I'm ready to go!" I hummed the famous song when I answered her. I heard her giggle on the other line.

     "I'm excited to see you, Bes! It has been a long time since you came over. I'm glad you were able to take off. Perfect timing for the kids' birthday. Can't wait for you to see the twins!" She exclaimed.

     "Me too! Finally, I'll see those two cutie pies! Can't wait to kiss and pinch those little cheeks. And yes! If you only know how amazing I'm feeling right now. Finally, I'll have a long break after working literally like a horse." I heard her chuckle on the other line.

     "You deserve it, Bes! By the way, Tristan said hi. He's excited that you're coming over. He'll pick you up from the airport, is that okay? Your arrival is exactly the same time that the catering service will come over. I have to set up for the twins' birthday. You know I'm hands on when it comes to all these things. Will that be okay?" She sounded concerned. I know she wanted to pick me up but plans do change.

     "Don't worry about me, Bes. Actually I'm happy that Tristan will pick me up. He's a better chauffeur than you." I joked. She laughed at my remark.

     "Okay, go to sleep early. Don't forget your alarm!" She reminded me.

     "Aye Aye, Ma'am! I'll set it as soon as we hang up the phone."

     "Love you Bes. Can't wait to see you soon. Text me tomorrow before you leave the house, okay?"

     "Yes Madam! I'll type it now and just hit the send button tomorrow." She let out another soft chuckle before we said goodbye.

     Oh my! What would I do without Alecx? Even though she's far away, she still keeps me lined up. She's like my sister from another mother.

     She was the one who persuaded me to take a vacation. She knew the last several months have been difficult for me. She said she couldn't imagine how I was able to pull it through. What she didn't know is that my work saved me. Burying myself at work kept me from overthinking and having a complete meltdown.

     After I cried my heart out to Jill during our emotional conversation at the park, I didn't let a single tear fall again upon my face. All I know is I've gotten tougher the past several months. I've learned to control all my emotions and kept all my feelings to myself. That's how strong was the wall I built around myself. I don't know what kind of force will ultimately break it down.

     When that time comes, I hope that I will be free from all the pain and anguish I've kept inside. I pray that better days will come....