Chapter 29 - Revelation

Him

It's the moment of truth. I need to let Mama Ava know about my true feelings for Carla.

"Care to explain Santi? Is there something going on between you and Carla?"

"I'm in love with Carla, Ma."

"My gosh! Are you out of your mind, Santi? Did you just hear what you said? Carla is your cousin for Pete's sake!" Mama Ava replied angrily.

Suddenly, the studio door opened, and Mommy Lucy walked in the room.

"What's going on here? I heard a loud crash. Are you guys, okay?" Mommy Lucy asked concerned.

"Hon, you would not believe what I just saw! I caught Santi and Carla making out! If I didn't see them, who else knew what could have happened!"

"Oh...." That's what all Mommy Lucy had to say. Mama Ava looked at her incredulously.

"Is that all that you had to say?" She was eyeing Mommy Lucy's reaction intently. Then, suddenly it dawned on her.

"Wait, do you know about this? Do you know that something's going on between Santi and Carla and you didn't tell me???" Mommy Lucy kept her silence as a sign of guilt and admission.

"My gosh, Lucy! You let them go on with this craziness! You were backing up Santi all this time! And you kept this a secret from me! Both of you lied to me! This is unacceptable!" Mama Ava is screaming at both of us.

I could see how angry she was, especially to Mommy Lucy. I knew they never kept secrets from each other. Suddenly, I felt guilty for causing all this. The only mistake I know is that I fell in love with Carla. And I don't even want to acknowledge that it's a mistake. Loving another person is never a mistake.

"Calm down, Hon. I'm very sorry for keeping it from you. Santi was planning to come clean to you and Amir, but this happened. We are truly sorry." Mommy Lucy tried to approach Mama Ava and hold her, but she didn't let her.

"How long have you known?" She asked Mommy Lucy, feeling betrayed.

"Before he came back from New York. I thought it was just an infatuation on Santi's part, but I was wrong. I didn't know Santi was serious about Carla until he told me recently that he fell madly in love with Carla. And he will pursue her no matter what."

"And you supported him on this? How could you do this, Lucy? They are cousins!" Mama Ava replied with hurt in her voice.

"They may be cousins by name, but not by blood. You know what I'm talking about, Ava." Mommy Lucy suddenly blurted out. I looked at Mommy Lucy, then at Mama Ava.

"What do you mean by that, Mom?" I asked with confusion.

"You don't go there, Lucy. Don't you dare!" Mama Ava said sternly.

"You need to be fair to Santi. We've kept it from him for a long time. He deserves to know the truth, Ava. You don't want him to carry that guilt, believing he fell in love with his cousin."

Tears suddenly fell from Mama Ava's face. I could see pain and frustration in her eyes. She has reached the dead end. She doesn't have a choice but to tell me the truth.  I looked at her pleadingly.  I could feel my heart was beating fast, unsure of what I'm about to hear. 

"It's not true that we had you through IVF. Your Mommy Lucy was already pregnant with you before we met." I was in complete shock upon hearing this.

"Is that true, Mom?" I asked Mommy Lucy directly. I want to hear it from her. I don't think Mama Ava can go on. Tears were running down her face. I never saw Mama Ava like this before. She has always been brave and strong. I've never seen her break down.

Mommy Lucy nodded and continued.

"I was young back then. I was in full swing with my modeling career in France. We had a huge fashion show one night and I got drunk. I woke up the next day with my co-male model in my bed. It was a one-night stand and we tried to forget that it happened. Until after a few months, I learned that I was pregnant. I talked to Pierre, that's the name of your father, and told him about you. He was willing to raise you with me. I was about 4 months pregnant with you when he had a motorcycle accident and died. I was in shock for days. I didn't know how I'm going to raise you alone. Until I met your Mama Ava.

"One night, I got invited to an opening of a huge art gallery show. That's when I accidentally bumped into your Mama Ava. She literally took my breath away the first time I saw her. I bet that's also how you felt the moment you met Carla. She reminded me of your Mama Ava. We were both captured by the Ramirez genes." She smiled while staring lovingly at Mama Ava.

By this time, Mama Ava already calmed down. Then, she continued Mommy Lucy's story.

"We fell in love. Your Mommy Lucy told me about you from the very start. I stayed by her side throughout her pregnancy. The moment you were born, I fell in love with you. I wanted to be a part of your life. I wanted to be your mom. I asked your Mommy Lucy to marry me so I can officially adopt you and we can be a whole family.

"We decided to tell you that you were born through IVF, so you will grow up knowing that I'm also a part of you. I'm scared that you will think less of me and will not treat me as your mom if you knew you didn't come from me. So, I asked your Mommy Lucy to keep this secret from you. I am very sorry for lying to you, Sweetheart. I hope you will forgive me." She said this sincerely as tears started to run down in her face.

"Ma, you don't have to ask for forgiveness. You didn't do anything wrong. And why would you conceive the thought that I would think less of you? Even though you didn't give birth to me, you'll always be a part of me. You've raised me as a Ramirez, and I'll forever be grateful for that. You and Mommy Lucy are my moms. Both of you are equal in my eyes. One is never less than the other. I love you both." I hugged her tightly while Mommy Lucy was looking at us. Her face was overwhelmed with emotions.

I kept Mama Ava in my arms for a long time before I let her go, trying to reassure her that everything's fine. That I don't have any hard feelings for her. Suddenly, I heard Mommy Lucy clearing her throat.

"Okay, enough of the drama. Hon, you need to let Santi go so he could finally let Carla know how he feels about her. He has been waiting for this for a long time. I bet he felt relieved knowing they're not blood related. It's good to get that guilt out of his system."

"Do you really love Carla?" Mama Ava suddenly asked me seriously.

"Yes Ma, with all my heart. I tried to fight it but she's the only girl that made me feel this way."

"Then you have my blessing. Go get her." I left the studio smiling and went straight to Carla's room. I can't wait to tell her the truth.  I can't wait to tell her how much I love her.  Finally, we can be together, and we don't have to feel guilty about it.

But the moment I opened her room, it was empty. She was gone.