Chapter 22 - Mr. Perfect

Her

I glanced at my reflection in the mirror. I could see my lackluster eyes staring back at me. I don't feel like going to the wedding this evening. After my conversation with Santi the previous night, I was not myself.

I felt sad upon learning that he's in love with someone else. I shouldn't be feeling this way. I am jealous over that lucky girl who stole his heart away. My deep thoughts suddenly got interrupted with a knock on my door.

I opened the door and Yaya Celia stood in awe upon seeing me.

"You are so beautiful, Senorita! You look like a princess!" She exclaimed.

"Oh, thank you, Yaya! That's a great compliment. By the way, don't call me Senorita, I'm not used to that. Just call me Carla, please?" I smiled at her.

"I don't think I'll get used to calling you by your first name, but I'll try. Dr. Mendez is already waiting downstairs for you." She replied politely.

"Thanks Yaya. Let me just get my purse and I'll follow you in a second. Please tell them I am coming." She nodded and left.

I grabbed my clutch purse and wore the open toe silver rhinestone ankle strap three-inch heels I got from the mall. I did one last look at myself. Tita Ava was right with picking the daffodil color on me. It brightened my features. I put on some light makeup to complete my look. Satisfied with my whole appearance, I headed out of my room.

The moment Gavin saw me going down the stairs, he stood up and waited for me at the bottom of the stairs. His eyes were glowing with admiration. I tried to muster a smile on my face. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Santi sitting comfortably at the huge couch with his moms and my dad. I glanced at him and caught him looking at me with a serious expression on his face.

"Wow Carla! You look amazing! I feel like the luckiest man tonight." Gavin said sincerely. He held my right hand as I took the last step from the stairs to make sure I wouldn't get off balance. On my periphery, I saw Santi sneered at his gallant gesture. Tita Ava and Tita Lucy stood up at the same time.

"You look fabulous, Carla! That dress looks perfect on you!" Tita Ava said excitedly.

"I couldn't agree more. You look like a princess, My Darling." My dad said affectionately. Tita Lucy second the motion of my dad's comment. I said "Thank You" to all of them. Santi remained quiet while sitting on the couch with my dad. Then, he eventually stood up and looked at all of us.

"Okay, are we all done admiring Princess Carla?" He said in a mocking tone. I glanced at him, offended by his comment.

"What has gotten in you, Santi?" Tita Ava looked at him disapprovingly.

"Nothing. I'm just telling the truth. Anyway, I'll go ahead and pick up Haley. Gavin, take care of Carla. I'll see you guys at the wedding." And with that, he left abruptly. What's up with him tonight? He seemed to be in a bad mood.

"I apologize about your cousin's behavior. He probably woke up on the wrong side of the bed. He has been acting this way since this morning. I'm not sure if it has something to do with his business. He has been stressed out lately." Tita Lucy explained.

"No worries, Tita." I reassured her that I was okay.

After our encounter the other night by the pool, I haven't seen Santi until now. With how huge the mansion is, we did not even get the chance to bump into each other. I was also out the whole day as my dad and Tita Ava brought me to the pineapple and sugarcane plantation on the other side of town.