Chapter 8 - Peace Offering

Her

I woke up from the loud ring of my doorbell. Who the hell wants to see me this early on a Sunday morning?!

I was irritated and went to open the door. I couldn't believe who's standing in front of me with a smile plastered on his face. Mr. Country Boy!

"Really?! You have the nerve to come here? Didn't I tell you to get lost?" I was about to slam the door on his face when he suddenly tried to put his foot in the doorway.

"Wait! I'm here to apologize about last night. I brought you something as a peace offering." He said humbly.

"I don't care whatever food you brought. Go away." I attempted to close the door again, but he kept his foot in the doorway.

"You would like it, I cooked it for you. Garlic fried rice, cured beef and eggs. Breakfast of champions!" He said invitingly.

By this time, I already smelled the aroma of the fried rice. My mouth started to water. I haven't had a taste of this for a long time. This is a nice change from the Italian food I've been eating these past few days. My mom used to cook this for me.

"Please? I'm sorry. I was out of line. I promise not to do it again." He apologized like a meek sheep.

"Okay. I'll just get the food; you can leave now." I opened the door a little bit wider so I could get it from him.

"It's heavy. I'll carry it for you."

"Santi...." I'm getting frustrated. He's very persistent.

"Let me do it. Please? And another thing, I really want to talk to you."

"What else are we doing? You're already talking to me now." I snapped back at him.

"Please Carla. Don't be sarcastic. Again, I'm sorry about last night. Now, if you can just let me in so we can eat."

After saying this, he went past me on the wide-open door. Did he just go inside without my permission?! This arrogant prick!

"Hey, I didn't say you can come in!" I shouted at him.

"I'm already inside. What else can you do? Where do you want me to put the food?" I noticed he glanced at me from head to toe, cocked his head and focused on my face afterwards. I was just wearing my usual sleeping clothes, tank top and skimpy shorts.

"Just put it on the table over there, then, you can leave." I said dismissing him.

"Didn't I tell you I want to talk to you? Please, don't fight me on this. You want to hear what I'm about to say. And it would be nice if you can put on some decent clothes while I'm preparing the food."

"What? You're ordering me now? This is my house, and I can wear whatever I want. You're suddenly acting as if you know better. Like you're my dad or something." I snorted.

He grimaced when I said that. I folded my arms across my chest and raised my eyebrow at him.

"Okay Carla, just stop. You really don't want to lose, huh! If this is still about last night that's why you're making it hard for me, again, I'm sorry. Now, can we do a ceasefire and stop arguing?

"And please, I would appreciate it if you can at least put something on top of what you're wearing. Is that hard to do?" I could tell he's getting frustrated with how things are going but he's keeping his cool.

I was about to open my mouth, but he cut me off....

"And by the way, I'm older than you by two years so yes, I know better."