Chapter 18 - Fire

Her

I just finished talking to Alecx. She was wondering how it turned out after seeing my dad. All I could say is the heavy feeling that I have in my chest has completely vanished. The void inside me is now filled. It just took that one step, forgiveness.

I was very nervous the moment I stepped into the mansion a few days ago. I didn't know what to expect. If my dad was mad at me and doesn't want anything to do with me after I blatantly told Santi that I hated him.

But my dad welcomed me with open arms. It seemed like he didn't know how I reacted or how angry I was towards him the first time I learned the truth. Santi concealed it from him, and for that, I'll forever be grateful to Santi. I didn't want to hurt my dad, especially knowing that he's very ill. We had a long and meaningful talk.

My dad asked for forgiveness a hundred times, regretting what he did to my mom, to us. And I accepted it wholeheartedly. Whatever mistakes he made in the past should remain in the past. We need to look ahead and start fresh.

It was a cathartic moment for both of us. After that, I felt so relieved. It was like taking a breath of fresh air for the first time. The pain, hatred, anguish went away like the wind. My wall finally crumbled. Acceptance and forgiveness.... That's what I should have done a long time ago.

"I'm so happy for you, Bes." Alecx said to me relieved. I thanked her for what she did for me. She's a true friend. I continued to recall our conversation a while ago.

"So, what's your plan now? Are you staying here for good?" She asked. She knows that I've extended my vacation to a full month. Initially, I was planning to just stay for two weeks but after my dad stubbornly refused to do his therapy until I agreed I would be with him through his journey, I knew I had to stay longer.

"I'm not sure yet. All I want is for my dad to get stronger."

"Why don't you stay, Bes?" She suggested.

"You know my home is in New York. It's the only place I considered home. It embraced me with open arms when I was down and alone."

"But it is different now. You have a family here and I'm sure they want you to stay."

Alecx got that right. My dad asked me to stay when we were in the mango orchard. Santi told him that I was a painter, too.  He wanted me to take over his gallery in the city and continue what he started.

I didn't know Santi took photos of my paintings in the apartment and showed it to my dad. My dad was so proud of me and said I would make it big. Even bigger than him. He wanted me to start painting a few pieces and do a one-woman show so he could introduce me to his elite clientele.

I told him I would think about it. Everything is happening too fast. I love my job and life in New York. But I know this would be a great opportunity for me.

"Stay Carla. You can work here, too. Tristan would love the idea of having another well sought architect in town. Of course, Mr. Archer would be sad to let you go. I bet you he will fight tooth and nail for you." She continued.

"I don't know, Alecx. I came here for vacation. I just want to take a break. Now, I'm faced with all of these." I replied to her sounding confused.

"Think about it, Bes. I know you'll make the right decision. Whatever it may be, I'm going to support you all the way. Yes, you love New York. But I believe, this is now your home. Home is wherever your family is."

The words of Alecx stuck in my head since we hung up the phone. I got caught in deep thought while brushing my hair in front of the dresser when I suddenly heard a knock on the door. I stood up and opened it. As expected, it was Tita Ava. We were supposed to go shopping for my dress for the wedding this weekend.

"Are you ready, My Dear?" She asked, smiling. She looked so beautiful and elegant.

"Yes, Tita. I am ready when you are. Is Tita Lucy coming, too?" I looked around but I didn't see her.

"Oh, she has a meeting today. She's a consultant of one of the leading magazines in the country. They're getting ready for their new issue. She might follow us after we do our shopping." She replied, then walked by me all the way out to the mansion.

I still get confused by the huge house. I feel like I'm inside the game "Clue" with different rooms everywhere I look. They have a library, study/home office, art studio, music room among others. It feels like a maze. The guest room that I'm staying in right now is almost as big as my whole flat in New York.

The driver pulled over in front of us as soon as he saw us come out from the mansion.

"Tita, I just want to thank you for doing this." I said appreciatively.

"Anything for you, Sweetheart." I had so much fun chatting with Tita Ava that I didn't even notice that we already reached our destination. She's smart, bubbly, and easy to talk to. She brought me to a mall with high end shops.

As soon as we entered one of the shops, I was surprised to see who was waiting for us inside. It was Santi. After the huge embrace he gave me when I arrived and our awkward moment the previous night, I tried to avoid him and spent most of my time with my dad. I don't like what I feel every time I'm near him. Not to mention that I just learned he has a girlfriend, Haley.

"Hello, Sweetheart! What are you doing here? How did you know we're here?" Tita Ava also looked surprised to see him.

"Mommy Lucy told me." He grinned.

"Isn't it you have a meeting today with one of our distributors?" Mama Ava questioned him.

"I was done with the client quickly, so I decided to hang out with you guys. I know your taste in clothes. I don't want you to pick revealing clothes for Carla. I'm here to help." He winked at me.

"You know my motto sweetheart, if you have it, flaunt it. Carla has a beautiful body. We're not going to hide it. I want to show everyone the perfect Ramirez genes. Right Carla?" Tita Ava faced me smiling. I blushed at her remark.

"See, you're making her uncomfortable? Please Ma, pick decent clothes! I don't want every guy gaping at her in the wedding." He said annoyed.

"You are overly protective of your cousin, Sweetheart. I'm glad we didn't give you a sister.  If you had one, she would have become a nun and lived in a convent." Tita Ava teased. I chuckled at Tita Ava's remark.

"What are you still doing here? Off you go, My Dear. Go get a new tux or something. Leave me and Carla to our shopping spree. I'll call you later when we're done, okay?" She tried to shoo him away.  Santi frowned at her mom but also gave in and left us alone.

After fitting multiple outfits, we eventually settled on a flattering daffodil charmeuse one-shoulder sleeveless wedding dress that hugged all my curves.

"I bet you, Sweetheart, men and women will salivate at that gorgeous body of yours once they see you in that marvelous dress. Gavin might take you home the same night." I laughed at her naughty comment. Santi was right. Her taste for clothes is too revealing. I don't mind it though as I have my share of those kinds of outfits back in New York. When I want to feel sexy during our night outs, I wear those kinds of clothes.

We went to a coffee shop just around the corner. I saw Tita Lucy waving at us as soon as she saw us enter the coffee shop. I let out a sigh of relief when I didn't see Santi at the table. I want to avoid him from now on. I'm scared of my feelings for him. This is so wrong. Apart from missing my life in New York, Santi is also one of the reasons that's why I'm debating to stay.  I need to put out this fire before it gets out of control....