Chapter Fifty

Hi I just wrote a new story titled The Bone Thief! It is about Prosper Halis, the soulless bone cutter from the 90's (but plot twist, he's gay)
I have been working really hard on that book, and it'd mean the whole world to me if you checked it out! -I'm insecure about it bc I've never written a gay book before so idk if it's good or not.

Ily

Chapter Fifty

"I feel sloppy, like I'm dining with pigs." Inanis looks up, "Kurt, do you think you could move over a bit, your face is killing my appetite."

The Vice President frowned at Inanis, but nodded once, and sat a few chairs over, away from Inanis's direct view.

"Much better, though I fear my appetite has dissipated, how fortunate for my insides." He shoves the plate of steak and vegetables away, and I frown at his yet another refusal to eat anything. "Mirea, dear wife, how is the food for you?"

I stare at him, knowing he expected a specific type of answer, but not caring enough to find out what he was wanting me to say. "It's good enough to eat, as you should, dear husband."

His expression of feigned amusement never falters, "If I wanted to be sick, I wouldn't have told Kurt and his nine and a half fingers to move."

I try to contain my sympathy for Kurt, but the look of defeat and submission spun around the man like a curse.

"Let's not talk about his fingers, okay? We are eating."

"I'm not eating, and I love to converse about missing limbs. Kurt, come here, let's see what else we can spark conversation about."

I kick Inanis's leg hard, so hard in fact, that he flinches, and slowly turns his feigned look of anticipation from Kurt to me.

"Wife, that was rude."

"Husband, you are being rude."

"Yes, but I'm allowed to be, I cut his finger off."

This was a disaster. I stared back over and Kurt who was beginning to look a bit pale and sweaty.

"Are you feeling alright?" I ask him, and he dabs at the sweat on his forehead with a napkin.

"Just a bit hot." He confesses.

"You look terribly pale, perhaps some water?" I stand but Inanis grabs my arm and pulls me back down to my seat.

He watches Kurt like he's observing a mystery unfold. His eyes never leaving the sweaty man who was now holding his stomach like he were in intense pain.

"I think we should call for some help." I say quickly, "I think he may pass out."

"Yes Kurt, you're looking very reminiscent of a pig now. Bloated and sweaty, absolutely hideous."

"Enough, Inanis." I snap at him, and remove his hand from my arm, rushing over to man who looked, at this point, nearly bloodless.

What was going on?

Inanis didn't move from his seat. With his elbows on the table, he rested his chin on his hands as he simply observed the scene before him like it were the most interesting thing in the world.

Kurt suddenly doubles over out of his seat, and vomits his food and blood onto the floor. Inanis grimaces at the sight, but I can see a spark of intrigue in his eyes. That is when I'm certain he's responsible for this.

I gawk at him, "What did you do?"

He pretends to look offended, "Innocent until proven guilty."

"Enough games, Inanis, what did you do?"