Chapter Fifty-six

Last chapter :)

I had this ending planned for over a year. how exciting that it's finally out and i can forget about it forever because im done

For those of you who don't yet know, Prosper Halis has his own book on my profile titled The Bone Thief. :)

This book needs a lot of editing and a lot of things need to be corrected bc i started this like 6 years ago sooooo ya ignore that

Thanks for sticking with me and Inanis through all of this I feel bad for you for lasting this long, but you made it! :)

Epilogue to come :) :) :) :) 

Chapter Fifty-six

Inanis had mentioned a few times how he had a childhood summer home in Detroit. One the jet-ride to it, he explained to me his theories on the Bone Cutter contract.

Never in history has a Bone Cutter lasted in his profession for longer than fifteen years. The strangest part is that they all ran away. Nobody knows what happened to Virtus Lux or if he really did kill his six wives. Prosper Halis one day went radio silent, and some believe he was assassinated or silently taken out due to his open homosexuality.  

The belt the Harvester wears, with all the former Bone Cutter bones on it, confessed by Inanis, was fraudulent, and a real one doesn't exist, simply because, nobody who is in charge of Bone Cutter contracts cares enough to find out what happened to the old Bone Cutters. 

Inanis went on explaining how he thinks they like it that way. They like the Bone Cutters leaving the profession silently, so the public can always keep their eye-candy. Nobody wants a middle aged Bone Cutter, they want a youthful, thirteen year old boy, they can watch grow up to his prime, his early twenties.

I often think the public is a little too fond of the looks of these little boys.

Inanis is simply getting too old, and he believes the public is getting bored of him.

"Americans are entitled." He said to me, as he stares out the window of the jet. "They always need something new, something pretty, something enchanting. They feel like they deserve it. Nobody is allowed to age, nobody is allowed to exist longer than their attention spans can warrant. The younger generation grows bored of the older, and the older generation feels entitled to control the younger, this is all psychology, it is simply modern politics."

"A Bone Cutter grants his title when he's thirteen. I've been a Bone Cutter for nearly fourteen years now, and I've become too old. I've felt it for a while. I'm not pretty, I'm not youthful like I was. It is what it is."

I frown at him speaking this way. To hear him admit that he doesn't consider himself 'pretty' any longer is absurd. He's barely twenty-four. How is he not still the image of youth?

This must be the after affects of living in the spotlight your whole life. Your ego can only be fed by public opinions.

"I think they were looking for a way to kick me out." He admits truthfully, "And they knew I wouldn't kill you."

"Is that why they're letting us get away?"

He nods, "I believe so."

"What does this mean for you?"

"You mean what does this mean for us?" There's a humorless smirk on his face, "We are, unfortunately for you, now barred from the public eye. We must lay low."

"Why? If they're letting us get away?" 

"Because if word gets out that we are still alive, or still in the country, they'll have to do something to fix that." He leans back, and I watch as his fingers quickly tap the armrest to his seat as if he can't stand sitting for so long, "As far as the world is concerned we no longer exist. Inanis is dead, and Mirea darling so are you."