Chapter Thirty-Eight

Apologies for the lack of anything in this chapter but I enjoy simple conversations because I'm a simple girl

riveting content i know

Chapter Thirty-Eight

We arrive back home late. It's nearly three in the morning, after being on television, speaking with multiple crowds, and answering vaguely to reporters as Inanis instructed, I'm more than just a little exhausted.  

Inanis's energy has withered since this morning, and I can tell he's just as drained, if not more than I am. I follow him up the stairs, as he walks into the guest bedroom, and drops his coat to the floor. He sits on the bed and that is when I truly see him for the first time since the news of the president's execution. His stature, the way his head is bent, and the dull look in his eyes screams fatigue. The last couple of days he's been moving non-stop, in the spotlight more than anyone else, and I've done nothing but sit back and watch him go. Of course, I accompanied him with the live announcement earlier today, but other than that, I've only been watching Inanis, never moving with him.

"You look tired." I say, "It doesn't suit you."

"The faces of a man are free when he's alone in his bedroom. I have no need to look polished here."

I can't help but agree with him. Still, I said, "Last I checked this isn't your bedroom."

"It might as well be." He says with a sigh, "I give up forcing you to sleep with me in our bedroom, wherever you choose to lay, I will follow you." He paused before adding feeling the petty need to add, "Also if you speak technicalities, this is my bedroom as I do pay for this house."

"I'd prefer if you keep your technicalities to yourself." I shrug off my own coat and drape it neatly over a chair. "Also if you're going to sleep in bed with me, you better change your clothes."

"If that is what you want, but I prefer no clothes at all, in fact, you can go first. I'll watch."

I give him a flat look, and he casually leans back. "You are a pervert." I say, not failing to show my disgust.

"Only with you, love."

"And your flirting is terribly off-putting." I tell him, as I pull out a more comfortable shirt from the closet.

"Is it working?"

"I'd rather you just stab me."

"If that is what you want, I could make it happen."

I scoff, but say nothing as I pull off my shirt, and proceed to put on the other one. I can feel Inanis's eyes burning on my skin as I get dressed and I realize this is becoming a usual occurrence. I turn to him.

"Why don't you let me watch you get dressed for a change?" I say, obviously not meaning it, but curious as to what his response would be. He's only ever witty discussing sex, never so much on acting upon it. Part of me is convinced he doesn't think it'll ever happen between the two of us, so he jokes about it instead.

Or maybe, that is what I'm doing.

"Why on earth would you want to watch me get dressed, when you can take my clothes off yourself?"

"Don't be lazy." I say, ignoring his attempt to bother me, "You're perfectly capable of doing it yourself."

"Ah, yes, but perhaps I don't want to."

"Then bask in your filth I don't care."

"Then I will not be getting up, nor will I be changing my clothes tonight."

"I'll sleep in the other bedroom."

"And I'll follow."

I climb into the bed beside him, but definitely make sure to keep some space between us, "You smell like cigarettes."