Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Today is the day. Today is the wedding. Today is the day I vow to give my life to imprisonment.

I knew it would be bad, but I never thought my anxiety would be as suffocating as it is right now.

The worst part was that Inanis didn't lie. I hadn't seen him since the night of our little argument. I spent the entire day yesterday trying different Bone Harvester outfits for when I appeared on stage, all while Inanis's mother swat at me with a stick for the pettiest of reasons.  

I realized I'd take his company, over his mother's.

Now, I'm to be married to him, and move into his house -our house. I admit, it'd be weird living in a house where I could roam freely, without the fear of bumping into a vile middle-aged woman with anger issues.

Inanis didn't scare me much anymore, he only infuriated me. Living with him won't be easy, but it was doable, so long as we stayed out of each other's way.

I had several women help me put on the wedding dress. It wasn't your typical wedding gown, it was a traditional piece worn by the previous wives of the previous Bone Cutters.

It was called The Harvester's dress, and it was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.

It was a crimson red, indicating that blood and passion were connected. There were white diamonds lacing the sleeves and collar, symbolizing purity.

And wrapped around the waist, the signature piece, was a belt of human bone, representing the Harvester's title. There were only five different bones, each one belonging to a precious Bone Cutter to honor them.

Once Inanis dies, one of his bones will be stitched onto the belt.

I refused to think about how disturbing that was.

The wedding was going to be filmed live on television. Every station will be broadcasting it, and I found that ten times more unnerving.

If I make one mistake, the whole world will see it.

How did Inanis do this so well?

Three women together all began to work on my hair. They intertwined jewels in the curls, so when the light shone on me, they'd light up, giving the illusion of luxury.

Even if it wasn't necessarily an illusion. Inanis was an incredibly rich man.

I thought about my father, and how he'd be watching. I thought about the pain it'd cause him to see his only child kiss a national murderer.

Suddenly, I wished I could stop thinking.

I wished I was Inanis, I wished I could be carefree, and think about a million things at once, instead of dwelling on the worst of things for hours.

I wondered what he was doing right now. I wondered if he was feeling like I was. Was he regretting his decision to marry me?

It's not like he wanted to marry me either. He was doing it for the show, not because we made a good match.

We most certainly did not make a good match.

I hope he regrets this for the rest of his life.

When my hair and makeup was finished, it was nearly time for the ceremony. I stared at myself in the mirror, barely seeing my own face. Everything about me looked different. I wasn't typically one to wear makeup, nor was I one to wear pure luxury.

I was not me.

I also found myself getting nervous to see Inanis again. It was true, I wasn't scared of him anymore, but after our fight I wondered how I could see him and act like nothing happened.