Chapter Twenty-Three

My name is Mirea Messor and I am a coward.

A big, blatant, repugnant coward.   

Inanis got drunk shamelessly in front of me. I found it annoying, then amusing, and then he confessed.

He just had to tell the truth.

And ever since he admitted he wanted me back in our bedroom, I have hid from him like the frightened coward I am. Because it means my intuition was right. Inanis had feelings for me, they may be his own version of feelings, nothing but bitter lust, and bipolar emotions, but either way, they were feelings.

I didn't like it at all.

So, I hide.

I opened the door of the bedroom that I sleep in and poked my head out into the hall. I glanced left, then right, confirming that Inanis was not anywhere around.

I took a deep breath, with Leech by my feet, and tiptoed out.

It's been two days since Inanis got drunk on the couch and confessed his gross feelings that I wish I could ignore.

The worst part is, I found myself more surprised than actually angry (to which, when realizing that fact, I immediately got irrationally angry).

There was nobody in the long hall, as I sneakily walked to the staircase, and took a few steps down. I could see into the doors of the giant living room, where Inanis was not in. I could also see into the doors of the dramatically large dining room, where again, Inanis was nowhere to be seen.

Very strange, but I took the blessing, and ran into the dining room, which led to the kitchen.

There were multiple chefs cooking food that I never understood why. Every hour of the day there they were making something, for when Inanis does decide to eat something, there'd always be something ready for him. Even though I've never really seen Inanis eat other than a few bites on the rare occasion that we do eat dinner together when guests came over. Most the time I'd watch him cut the food on his plate in tiny, minuscule pieces, swipe them to the side, and then complain that he was bored, and proceed to get up to leave, giving me the privilege of eating alone with guests that I had no idea how to converse with.

I understood his figure was important to him, he was the Bone Cutter after all, but sometimes I wonder if he uses his hyper activity and proneness to boredom as an easy excuse to starve himself.

Not that I cared at all. He could starve to death if that's what he wanted.

I walked into the kitchen and saw a freshly baked tray of miniature powder cakes, all set out to cool. Since I was practically starving after hiding in my room for so long, I grabbed one, and allowed myself to enjoy it.

It's not like these cakes would actually get eaten anyway. I've never seen Inanis eat sugar, and I don't think I will anytime soon.

The amount of food this house wastes repulses me.

Leech sat by my feet, and one of the chefs threw him a tiny piece of meat from the pan of whatever they were cooking. Leech ate the food with his take wagging ferociously and I smiled at the chef as a thank you.

Inanis may be an asshole, but the people who worked here, I've come to understand, were decent people. Even though they voluntarily work for a murderer who scares the shit out of every American in the political field.

I left the kitchen while holding a second cake and began making my way back to the guest bedroom where I'd hide and hate myself for however longer I could without Inanis barging in and yelling at me.