Chapter 26

"I don't understand?" Asher stated. Well of course not. "They aren't who I thought they were. They were leaders of a gang. Very dangerous people. I didn't know this until Mallory and I were kidnapped by them. I'm the only family they had left which meant the leadership was supposed to be passed down to me, but i left. They gave me a choice." I said looking at him directly in the eye. This was the most important part, he had to understand i did it for a reason. "Either die there with Mallory or leave and take over while Mallory lives." He let out a breath and slouched back it was a lot to take in.

"I always thought i could protect you." He said and put his head in his hands. I realized then that he blames himself for what happened. Typical of him to think hes always the one in the wrong.

"You weren't there Ash, it wasn't your fault. I shouldn't have left. I shouldn't have gotten in the limo. I'm sorry. I-i-i put our daughter in danger." I stuttered with a traitorous tear drop escaping. 'Don't cry, please don't cry' i told myself. I squeezed my eyes shut and felt the.couch deepen beside me. Not long after two muscular arms wrapped around me and that's when the water works started. I couldn't remember the last time i cried but i didn't care. So many things could have gone wrong that day, but either way. I lost the greatest gift. My daughter.

Asher's soothing whispers brought me back to present time. I needed to go. It was getting late out.and the walk home will be torture.

I stood up abruptly shocking Asher. "I need to get home." I said in a mere whisper. He only nodded and i walked out without another word.
~

The sun was starting to set and i was still quite a ways from home. Paranoia was setting in and everything seemed to be a monster. Shadows were stripping the streets and trees were swaying back and forth. I heard the sound of tires hitting the pavement. I looked behind me and saw no car. What? I started spinning in circles trying to find the source of the sound.

I stopped in place when i spotted a man leaning against the parks bathrooms. The car right.in front of him. He seemed to have a somewhat smirk on his face from what I could tell. I walked closer staying in the shadows of course and not under street lights. A slender blonde hopped out of the car. She looked vaguely familiar and that when I realized it was Ashley. I was slowly getting closer and picked up on their conversation.

"So I see you got my message." The man said smugly. He got up from the wall and walked up to Ashley.

"Ryan. You know we can't be doing this. What do you want? What is so important that you have to bring me out here?" Her tone sounded tired. Almost like she knew she couldn't leave.

"I have some news for you."

"And that is?" Her voice seemed to perk up out of fear.

"Kat. She wasn't found with the rest of them, just thought I would give you a heads up."

And that simple sentence made my blood run cold.

***COMMENT AND VOTE****