XVI: The Aftermath

Chapter 16: The Aftermath

Tony looked down at his daughter in his arms who was still absorbing part of the energy into her body. He cradled her carefully into his arms as he began his descent down to where everyone else was. He avoided looking at anyone, especially Rhodey who he knew was giving him a disapproving look. After all, he knew what the Phoenix entity was capable of since he was in the loop with what had happened to Jean with her encounter with the Phoenix. 

Tony landed softly on the ground as he crouched down to try and lay part of Maria's body on the ground so he could check on her. 

"Friday, read me her vitals," Tony asked his AI as he held his hand that wasn't holding Maria, up to her neck. 

"All vitals are stable sir," Friday informed her boss, making Tony let out a sigh in relief. Although he knew that what he did was wrong, especially after all the harm that Phoenix had caused on his family, Tony couldn't help but be thankful that Phoenix saved his daughter's life. Just like Phoenix had saved his wife twice before from the brink of death. 

"Tony, what just happened?" Pepper asked what everyone else wanted to ask. Everyone was confused as to how they had seen Maria practically die, burned by the use of the infinity stones, then be engulfed by a fiery force. Only to come back in Tony's arms as if nothing had ever happened to her, healed to perfection. 

"Maria, sweetheart, can you hear me?" Tony whispered out to his daughter who's eyes were closed, completely ignoring his wife's question. Tony looked at his daughter, hopeful that she would respond. He only had to wait a bit before he saw the movement in Maria's eyelids as she slowly opened her eyes, not completely but enough for Tony to know she was okay. Tony noticed that Maria's usual light blue eyes had streaks of flaming orange in them.

"Is everybody... is everybody okay?" Maria rasped out slowly in a whisper that only those standing really close could hear. 

"Yes sweetheart, everyone is okay," Tony cried out as he tried to compose himself. He had always promised his late wife he would take care of Maria and do anything to save her, this would live up to his promise. Tony had faith that Maria was strong enough to control the Phoenix force and not let it control her. She had to be strong enough.

"That's good... can we please go home," Maria whispered back as she closed her eyes tiredly, not having enough energy to stay awake for much longer. Sure the Phoenix force had brought her back from the brink of death, but she had still withstood an insane amount of power depletion and her body was exhausted.

"Yes, we can go home, I'll take you straight home, whatever you want," Tony rushed out as he cradled Maria's body once more as he stood up. He finally mustered up the courage to look at everyone around them. After Maria had mentioned going home, a lot of the people around began walking around getting ready to leave. The only remaining people were the close members of the team.