ᵗʷᵉⁿᵗʸ⁻ᵗʰʳᵉᵉ

For even the greatest athletes, the moments before a match begins is notoriously anxiety ridden

For even the greatest athletes, the moments before a match begins is notoriously anxiety ridden. It's the line before a rollercoaster as you stare at all the loops and drops wondering how we could possibly trust others enough to use us as subjects for their tests of gravity's limitations.  Usually a lap bar constructed of blood sweat and tears would come down ensuring that you are only on the ride because for you, it is safe. You've met the requirements, worked hard to get there and now could sit back and enjoy taunting mother nature for how far beyond imagination you've taken her gifts.

Yet, the seat beside you is empty. Even after years of the single rider's line, the exception of a memory in which a hand grasped your back as you both soared and plummeted from incredible heights makes every mechanism of security liquify.

There is no support other than the strength of your own bones and even as you feel your grip tighten around the bar, the unreciprocated hold removes all evidence of other rider's beside their judging eyes.

Watching you fail, waiting for you to fall off.

Until you blast off-- then, the adrenaline and need for survival is too fast paced and ruthless to look and be anywhere other than forward and in the moment.

Aia's POV

I don't think I've taken a breath since the chime for the exam rang.

Not that you'd ever be able to tell.

It's muscle memory, find an opponent, put your all into it and move forward. I've been doing it as long as I can remember without a second thought. Yet, something feels different.

But my body's too far ahead to let my brain realize it.

Some part of me is vaguely aware of where my peers are, Camie hasn't left Deku's side. They don't even go to the same school, not that I care.

I have five snakes out scouting my path so I know where all of my enemies are. I'm camouflaged so I can get to and poison them before they even see me. No surprises, everything must go as planned.

This has been my battle strategy for a long time, my mom used to try and tell me I needed something flashier but there's a certain time and place to draw attention. My goals are what is most important, I need people to know my name for it to work, but right now I need the publicity of simply winning most of all.

Winning by my own hand, the way I want. The first step in stepping out on my own and being the kind of hero I want to be. Though I'll be sure to say otherwise when all those interviews come asking about it.

"Got you!" A blond boy screams out, launching himself to my invisible body and tackling me to the ground. My venomous skin makes him hiss, yet his hold stays. What an arrogant phrase, I don't underestimate these kids and they should certainly know better than to do it to me.