Chapter 1• happiness

TW: Child Abuse and abuse

Screams. Shouts. 

Sounds of things shattering. 

Plates being thrown. 

The crackle of the fire. 

The creak of the stairs— they never did fix it. The smell of metallic liquid. Knives were thrown to the ground. Glass was smeared everywhere. Guns splattered everywhere. The dysfunctional door lock. The rattling of the tree branch outside in front of the window.

He came out of nowhere. I crawled to the nearest wall trying to grab something or anything. Anything is better than nothing. I could feel his hands choking me. I grabbed the empty vase and smashed it against him. He stumbled back. He looked at me holding the side of his head with blood smearing out. He looked so furious. His hands formed into fists.

"You little piece of shit. You're going to pay for this slut" he said, darkly. I shook my head. I tried screaming at him. Instead, I got a knife hidden under the floorboard and stabbed his abdomen. He screamed in pain. I gasped shocked that I did that. I saw her running up and her eyes darkened and looked at me. Her eyes were bloodshot red. Probably from getting too high and too many STDs.

She ran after me. I grabbed my phone quickly and went to the open window in my vacant room. I quickly stepped onto the tree and slowly went down. "You bitch! Get back here you cunt!" she screamed. My heart was thumping so loudly that I could barely process anything.

I ran through the woods and I heard footsteps behind me. I didn't look back. I ran as fast as my legs could go. I got onto the street and saw Mr. Wylie's store and ran inside. The lights of the street weren't on.

Please don't let her see me. Please let me be free. I'm only 14.

I prayed she didn't see me. "Mia?" said Mr. Wylie. I ran to the backside and hid. I heard the door open and heard her. "Where is that stupid cunt? I know she went past the store" she growled. 

I don't know what you're talking about Mrs. Vasquez," Mr. Wylie said, politely.

"You know you can't legally adopt the cunt. We already adopted the little bitch. Tell her to come back home or it won't end well for her" she said, loudly.

She went outside and left. Mr. Wylie came to the back with some noodles and candy. He sat down next to me and gave it to me. I shook my head. He furrowed his eyebrows. I slowly took the food and started eating it.

They never gave me food. The only time they did was once the foster home people came to check up on everything.

"You're safe now," he said softly. "You aren't going back. Mrs. Wylie, you, and I are going out of this dreadful town" he said. I looked up at him. I smiled.