8 | a battle between voices

PETER PARKER

PETER PARKER

"Better than chocolate?" I asked Venom, standing in the elevator of an apartment I didn't live in as the sun had now well and truly risen. As I ran my fingers through my hair in the mirror, I noticed my fly was down and quickly zipped it up whilst the doors opened at ground level for me to exit the building.

Infinitely better! Why have you been feeding me chocolate this entire time?

"Because I'm not wanting to become a sex pest who creeps around New York searching for women to sleep with," I scoffed, pulling the hood of my jacket up above my head and thwipping a web up to an adjacent building to swing home.

Why did we leave and not ask for more?

"It's bad enough that I picked a girl up at a bar and stayed at her apartment over night, it's even weirder if I'd stay for breakfast. You normally just get in and get out when it comes to one night stands," I explained, reaching Venom about the unspoken societal sex rules.

I am very full. Thank you Peter, that will curb my hunger longer than chocolate would... But not as long as a brain could...

"Nope, no brains. Never, ever brains," I said as I swung around the corner of a building and narrowly missed a flock of pigeons flying towards me.

As I landed a block away from my building in a nearby alleyway, I pulled the hood of my jacket down and wiped under my nose. Swinging around the city during winter always made my nose run, I suppose the rush of cold air affected my sinuses and made me sniffly.

It was nearing to 9am, the street bustling with cars and people as they took advantage of their Saturday mornings. Jogging up the small set of stairs to our lobby, I saw two Armenian men in the foyer with Y/N. One was sitting on the couch that nobody ever sat on, the other was arguing with her opposite several large cardboard boxes he had delivered.

"Delivering furniture means delivering it to my home, this is not my home," she sighed in exasperation.

"And your home is five floors up. That means you pay me and my friend twenty for each floor," he said smugly, knowing that a single female wouldn't be able to carry these boxes alone and she'd have to pay him.

"That's bullshit! If I wanted these delivered to my lobby I wouldn't have put the delivery address as level five!" She protested, turning towards me and smiling meekly as I entered.

She is feisty... I like it!

"Don't worry buddy, we can take it from here," I said smiling and giving Y/N a reassuring nod. She didn't seem very assured though, knowing that whatever was inside those boxes, wasn't particularly easy to carry.