18 | a normal life for a normal person

PETER PARKER

PETER PARKER

With dozens of shopping bags looped up my arms and filling both of my hands, I realised quickly how difficult it would be to try and unlock my front door without any free hands. Still holding several bag loops, I stuck one of my fingers into my jacket pocket to stick to my house key. That was a great perk to my spider senses, I could pick things up without grabbing them. I mean when I first got my powers I was sticking to everything but now I know how to control it.

After opening the door successfully, I kicked my shoes off at the doorway and shuffled into my bedroom to dump the various bags of clothes on my bed before sitting down with a huff. Shopping wasn't particularly my strong suit and I rarely bought new clothes for myself, but since I was in this whole 'new me' phase of my life, I figured that putting effort into myself also meant putti by effort into the way I dressed.

I wasn't doing anything drastic, I barely knew how to piece together matching items of clothing let alone reinvent my whole style. I did however accept that I shouldn't be wearing stretched out t-shirts from when I was a teenager or living in ripped jackets from various fights I had been in anymore. The new clothes obviously still suited me and my personality, they were just nicer and newer.

I had also bought several cheap black hoodies to wear on patrols that wouldn't show blood stains as obviously as other colours. And I had tried to do so from an aggressively pushy old man at a market in Chinatown. He told me that one hoodie was $25 and if I bought two, it was $40. So when I asked how much of a discount I would get if I bought five hoodies, he told me the total would be $115.

"Uh, that's not the right math..." I said disappointedly, preparing to turn away and leave.

"But for you friend, I do cheap. See?" he said putting his arm around me and pressing his little plastic calculator multiple times.

"But I'm spending more to buy more... I could just buy two hoodies for $40, then come back later today and buy another two for $40, and then a single one at full price and I'd be saving more money than if I bought five at this price," I said furrowing my brows.

"Okay, okay, okay. You buy five now, I sell for cheap," he said showing me the price on his calculator: $110

"That's still more expensive! Like, if I get $10 off for buying two, wouldn't I get $20 off for buying four? And then if I added the fifth one, it would be maybe $5 off or something... So really it should be $100 for five hoodies..." I said pressing the buttons on his calculator to show him the math.

Muttering angrily under his breath in Vietnamese, he snatched the calculator from my hand and started pressing multiple different buttons and calculating multiple different things before looking at me with a scoff.

"Now for you, full price," he scowled, flipping his calculator to show me $125.

I sighed, said no thank you and repeated the exact fucking conversation at another identical clothing stall run by a small Vietnamese woman. This time, I was offered 5 hoodies for $90 - and I bought them without questioning her math.