37 | a set of new rules to live by

PETER PARKER

PETER PARKER

"Okay, we need to set some ground rules now that I've taken you back. Alright?" I said laying on my couch and playing with a strand of webbing that was hanging above me from the ceiling.

I chose you to be my host Peter.

I heard Venoms familiar deep voice inside my head once again. Although I hadn't seen him in his alien form since I let him bond back with me. To be fair, I didn't think too much about the decision I just figured I could buy myself some time and save innocent lives by controlling him myself in the meantime.

"No. No, you couldn't survive without me and I took you back to stop you from killing half the fucking city! So you need to play by my rules okay?" I said screwing my face up.

Okay.

"Number one, you do not under any circumstance eat someone without my explicit permission. And those people will only be very, very bad people. Got it?" I said sternly.

How do I know who is a very very bad person?

"I will tell you. You don't get to decide because you'll just assume everyone is a bad person whenever you're hungry. Which leads me to my second rule, you will get your phenethylamine from chocolate as a default. I will take us to the factory across the river and you can eat there," I continued.

But brains are so much tastier...

"Irrelevant. You live in my body, you play by my rules. I'm not a depressed piece of shit anymore so you can't take control over me. Rule number three, you will never expose your weird gross alien body to anyone unless I let you. Especially Y/N," I commanded.

I am not gross!

"On planet ming mong you might be some hot shot but here on Earth, you're scary and you're gross you traumatised Y/N by kidnapping her. That wasn't cool by the way, you really fucked her up," I scowled.

But I took care of her. I could have eaten her brain Peter but I restrained myself, I nurtured her.

"Taking someone to a damp cold warehouse isn't caring for them, it's just straight up sadistic. Which reminds me, I need to go upstairs and check in on Y/N to see how she's doing since she watched her colleagues get their heads bitten off in front of her," I huffed, sitting up from the couch and pulling the loose strand of webbing down from my ceiling.

Y/N had stayed with me for the past three nights because she was having trouble with falling asleep. I can't blame her, Venom is one scary mother fucker when he's all big and black and murderous. But I did my research on symbiotes, apparently they have less power when their host is healthier. Last time he was with me, he was the dominant one because I was such an emotional wreck. Now I'm the one who calls the shots.

She answered her door with a smile and a quick wave, her fingers barely poking out from her oversized jumper sleeve as she welcomed me inside. She hurried back to her desk where she plopped down into the chair and told me that she was almost finished her first story draft. She's been writing non-stop lately, crafting the perfect narrative as to why Spider-Man dropped off the face of the universe. I still fought crime, I just didn't do so under my superhero alias.

"I wanted to see how you slept last night, you feeling okay being back here alone?" I asked, sitting on the edge of her couch to face her.

"I woke up in the middle of the night 'cos I had a nightmare but other than that I was pretty good. I think knowing that you defeated that monster makes me feel safer. If it was still out there I would be terrified," she sighed, widening her eyes and shaking her head at the thought of the 'monster'.

Monster? I am not a monster.

"I also wanted to see if you maybe wanted to get dinner with me some time. I don't really know where we stand with each other even though we both apologised about the uh, yeah... I just thought dinner could act like a clean slate for us both," I smiled crookedly.

"Well I don't have a job anymore since the club got destroyed so I'm a little low on cash at the moment. That's why I'm writing all day every day, I need to get this story sold and out there as soon as possible," she sighed, running her hand anxiously through her hair.

"I'll pay, it's my treat. And if it helps, I'll swing by whatever publisher you want and tell them you have my exclusive story. They'll probably hire you before you're even finished," I laughed.

Her eyes lit up when she heard that, cocking her head to the side in disbelief when I had suggested that. She hasn't considered that I could use my other persona to benefit the two of us, most importantly she hadn't realised the desperation publishers had for information about Spider-Man's return.

"The Daily Bugle. One hundred percent that's where I want to work... Do you really think they would hire me without reading anything first?!" She said jumping up to her feet.

"If I rock up in my suit and tell them to keep an eye out for your story when it's finished, they'll be madly contacting you about it before I even leave the building. Trust me, media people love superhero stories," I grinned.

She squealed and covered her mouth with her hands, turning back to her laptop and telling me she had to keep writing. I wished her luck, promising that I'd text her after stopping by the Bugle. I knew the editor J.Jonah Jameson well. He might have loved to hate my guts but he loved getting an exclusive story even more.

"Hey Peter?" Y/N said softly as I stood from the couch.

"Yeah?"

That's when she leant in to press her lips against mine for the first time since we had our argument. Despite saving her life and taking care of her these past few days, I was convinced that she wouldn't take me back and we'd return to being friendly neighbours.

But she's kissing me right now. Passionately. And I'm kissing her back. Relieved that my feelings for her were still reciprocated.