Chapter 12: Home

~ Destiny's Pov ~

Today's the day, we're finally going back to New Orleans. "Come on, come on let's go." I whine as the men pile our suitcases into the trunk of the car. The rest of our belongings are already in a truck on their way to New Orleans, but we're not. 

"Lovely, if we leave now; half of your clothes will stay here." Kol responds with an annoyed groan.

"Carry on." I slump in the backseat. Caroline slides in next to me, I lay my head on her shoulder. "Are we ever going to leave this town?" 

"I'm not optimistic." We both groan. As we slump back again the men all get in the car. 

"Ready ladies?" Klaus looks at us through the rearview mirror. 

"As we'll ever be." We say at the same time. We pull away from the house and watch as the town disappears from our view. Just as we reach the town boarder Caroline speaks. 

"Goodbye Mystic Falls." I smile at her and hold her hand. 

-- 

We've been driving for a few hours and we're now crossing the city line to New Orleans. We continue on the road for a while before we reach a large gate that blocks our path. "Allow me." I say and wave my hand in the direction of the gate. It squeaks open and the bottom of the gate runs along the gravel road causing a scraping sound. Klaus drives through the now open gate and I turn around to close the gate with another wave of my hand. We continue down an extremely long driveway until we reach the beautiful property. This was my and Kol's home when we lived in New Orleans circa 1920's. It's an old plantation complex, it's beautiful. Kol found it for us in 1921 and we lived there until 1932.

"Welcome home love." Kol says to me and kisses my lips softly. We stop out the front and we all exit the car. I run up the steps and through the front door. A tear slips from my eye as I feel Kol's arms wrap around my middle.

"It's the same as we left it. Just dusty." I say and he kisses my cheek softly and I sigh. "I missed you my love." I say and turn to face Kol.

"Destiny my love, I missed you." He says and kisses my lips. We pull apart and look towards the door to see Klaus admiring Caroline staring at the house.

"Wow." She says. "This is amazing and it's only the outside." She says and smiles widely.

~Klaus' Pov~

She's beautiful. Wonder lights up her eyes and I fall further in love with her, if that's even possible. I walk over to her and pick her up like a bride and carry her over the threshold. "This is our new home Caroline, we will be happy here." I whisper into Caroline's ear.

"Yes we will." She says and kisses my lips softly.

"Come, I'll show you your room." Destiny stats to walk up the stairs and Caroline is all too eager to follow. They hurry up the stairs and disappear from our view.

"They're excited." Kol says and I laugh as we begin to follow them upstairs. We walk up another two flights of stairs until we're on the top floor to see Caroline standing in the doorway of the second master bedroom.

"Are you alright love?" I ask and she nods, her mouth agape.

"Oh.my.god." She says and walks into the room. She laughs and falls backwards onto the bed. "I love it here." She coughs, as the bed has been lying around collecting dust for almost 80 years. I laugh. "A bit dusty though."

"We'll let you get settled." Destiny walks away taking Kol with her.

~ Destiny's Pov~

I drag Kol away from Klaus and Caroline's room and lead him to ours. "Do you remember when we lived here?" Kol asks me as he wraps his arms around my waist.

"Yes, I remember our dreams and our wishes, wishes that until recently were not granted." I say and place a hand over our growing baby.

"The nursery is still here.." He says and I turn around to face him.

"Really?" I ask and my heart flutters. I speed off into the room that I turned into the nursery in 1923.

-Flashback-

~Kol's Pov~

"What are you doing love?" I ask Destiny as I stand in the doorway of our spare room.

"Designing." She says simply as she walks around the room.

"Designing what?" I ask and she raises an eyebrow at me.

"The nursery." She says and I smile at her.

"Love, we're vampires." I tell her and she sighs.

"I know but there are a lot of young girls finding themselves pregnant out of wedlock and they don't want their children." She says hopefully and I hug her.

"Unless you know any of them we might have difficulty putting this room to any use." I say and she sighs sadly. "I'll look okay?" I say and her eyes light up.

"Really?!" She asks excitedly and I smile at her.

"Anything for you. We will have our own little family, I promise." I say and she kisses me softly.

-end of flashback-

I speed off after Destiny and see her standing in the middle of the room with tears in her eyes. I walk over to her and wrap my arms around her waist. "Don't cry love." I say and she laughs softly.

"They're not tears of sadness. I'm happy." She says and I kiss her forehead. "It feels like a lifetime ago I last stood in this room." She says and I lift her chin.

"It was a lifetime ago." I say and she laughs.

"I guess you're right." She says and walks over to the crib and picks up a small teddy bear. "I remember when we got this." She says and I laugh taking the bear out of her hands.

"You were too exited over a bear." I say and she laughs.

"I was, but to be fair we were going to have a baby." She says and my smile fades.

"It wasn't your fault." I say and a tear slips from her eyes. "There was nothing you could've done to stop it." I say, pulling her body against mine; she nods.

"I know but I wish there was..." She sobs.