Chapter 22: Visitors

~ Kol's Pov ~

Destiny, Caroline and I sit in the sun room talking when I hear a car pull up out front. "Aaaand there's the blood traitor." 

"Nikolai." Destiny scolds and I roll my eyes. 

"I joke I joke, shall we?" I stand and hold my hand out to Destiny. She takes hold of it and hoists herself up, I lead the same hand to Caroline who follows suit. We walk out the front door to greet them. 

"Mom! Stefan!" Caroline runs up to them, embracing them both. 

"Wow, I though you were only two months along?" 

"Yeah, I am. The pregnancy is accelerated, so in three months...our daughter will be here."

"It's a girl! For sure?" Her mother squeals excitedly. 

"100%." They hug once again. "Mom you remember Kol and Destiny, Stefan you already know Kol. 

"That I do." 

"It is so nice to see you again, how are you? How's the baby?"

"Babies. Twin boys." Destiny places her hands over her stomach. 

"Oh congratulations." Liz wishes as Destiny leads her inside. 

"Salvatore."

"Mikaelson." 

"Great now we're all friends shall we?" Caroline interrupts and takes hold of Stefan and I's arms and drags us into the house. "So tonight I want everyone dressed and ready for the night out, I've booked us a table at Madame Devereaux's. After dinner we're going to the street fair, we're all going to be happy, friendly and completely civil to one another or I will take my perfectly manicured nails and use them to rip your heart from your chest." Caroline lets go and smiles threateningly at us. 

"I'm not going to get on the wrong side of a hormonal vampire, so of course. Happy, friendly and civil." I look to Stefan and put my hand out for him to shake.

"Agreed." He takes my hand and we shake. 

"Wonderful, until then we'll show you the house." 

~ Klaus' Pov ~

Finally its finished, I've spent the past few days painting a portrait of Caroline. It truly doesn't do her justice, I wipe paint off my hands and leave my studio only to be greeted by an armada of acquaintances. "What's this then?" Caroline walks over to me and wraps her arms around my middle. 

"My mother and Stefan have come to stay for a week." She explains as I kiss her temple. "Play nice." She whispers in my ear.

"We'll see." I kiss her again then make my way over to greet the rest of the group. "Liz, lovely to see you again." 

"And you." She pulls me in for a hug. "And the younger of the infamous Salvatore's. Stefan." I square my shoulders as I approach him. 

"Klaus."

"Good to see you old friend." We pull together for a hug, we pat each other's backs then pull apart. 

"We were just showing them the house." Caroline says as she places her hand on my shoulder. 

"Well don't let me stand in your way. I've just got to pop into town for an hour, I'll see you all later." I kiss Caroline's forehead then head to our bedroom to change. 

-

I walk down the streets of the French Quarter, the sound of jazz surrounds me taking me back to the life I lived so long ago. "Well, well, well. If it isn't the former King of New Orleans." A distantly familiar voice appears behind me, I stop and turn.

"Marcellus..." I walk toward him and bring him into an embrace. "I thought you were dead." 

"I imagine people don't stay dead long around you." He laughs as I pull away, holding him at arms length. "You're back, are you here to stay?"

"Yes."

"And the others?"

"I'm joined by Kol, Destiny, possibly Elijah; he keeps disappearing. And my bride to be."

"Bride to be? So the king found a queen. Congratulations man." 

"Thank you. And you? Has the eternal bachelor found anyone?"

"I did, a long time ago. I haven't seen her in a long time, I doubt she remembers me now." He explains as we walk, I know he's talking about Rebekah. I've had a life time to think it over, Marcel is somewhat trustworthy and she can take care of herself...why not.

"You know you need only ask." 

"It took me 80 years, but I finally got your approval. How is she?"

"Last I heard she was doing fine, I haven't seen her since she left with riffraff from Mystic Falls to find the cure about two months ago." He nods. "I am sorry." I stop walking. "I overreacted." He raises his eyebrow. "Overreacted is an understatement, I truly am sorry."

"I forgave you a long time ago Klaus, but thank you." We continue walking and catch up on our years apart. I notice a baby store, the main reason I came into town today. I haven't told Marcel about the baby yet, maybe I shouldn't; this man in front me may not be the man I once knew. 

"I've probably kept you from something, I'll let you get back to your day. But if you're not busy tonight, we'll be at Madame Devereaux's at 7:00 if you would like to join us." He smiles at me. 

"Of course, wouldn't miss it for the world." He pats my shoulder and starts to walk away. "Can't wait to meet this miracle girl whose swept you off your feet." He calls out then disappears from view.