Chapter 25: When All is Lost, All is Found

~ Destiny's Pov ~ 

The evening sun fills the bedroom as I lie on the bed hugging the moth eaten teddy bear to my chest. My mind drifts to that night, the night that changed our lives and our hearts. To the monster that took her away from us, Mikael. The tears that escape my eyes burn my cheeks like acid as I clutch the bear closer to me. "Destiny?" Caroline's voice snaps me back to reality, I sit up quickly and hang my legs over the side of the bed so I can wipe my cheeks away from Caroline's gaze. 

"Caroline, sorry what can I do for you?" She now stands at the foot of the bed, I look up at her; her eyes are swimming with worry. Once she looks over my face she quickly moves to sit next to me. 

"Destiny what happened? Are you okay?" She wraps an arm around me soothingly. 

"Nothing, I was just...remembering, a time that I have avoided thinking of. But now, I'm home and I cannot to that." 

"Do you want to talk about it? You don't have to-"

"No it's okay, I think I should; it might do me good." I sit with my back against the headboard and Caroline sits with her legs crossed in front of me. "I got this bear in 1923. I bought it because Nikolai and I were going to have a child, at least we were looking for one. See in those days it was quite scandalous for unmarried women to have children, so there were quite a few women finding themselves in trouble and needing to for lack of a better term, dispose of their unborn children." 

"I don't understand, could you not get pregnant before?"

"For bonded couples to conceive, they need to be somewhere with strong magic. We were in Mystic Falls when we conceived these babies, there has been more magic blood spilt there than anywhere in this country. The magic in Mystic Falls lends itself to the supernatural that inhabit its walls."

"So, had we been anywhere else it wouldn't have happened?" 

"It doesn't seem likely." I rub my hand over my stomach. "I'm certainly glad it did." I see Caroline looking down at her stomach and smiling. "We found a girl not 16, from a rich family who had fallen pregnant. Nikolai and I befriended the family quickly and one night we joined them for dinner, and alluded to the fact we were aware of their daughter's condition; we struck a bargain, in exchange for our discretion they would give us the child. We were so excited, I put the nursery together as soon as I could and we just waited until the day came. And once it did, we were so happy." I look down at the bear before continuing. "We had a beautiful little girl, Ruby. The girl didn't make it, she bled out minutes after Ruby was born, not that it mattered of course; Nikolai and I turned the family into walking blood bags." I look at Caroline who raises her eyebrows slightly. "They were awful people, an overly wealthy family who used their money to cover their asses, their oldest son was a serial rapist and killer, they youngest gambled and drank away most of their money, the husband cheated on his wife at every chance, so really no one the world would miss."

"They sound horrible. So, what happened?" I take a breath. 

"Mikael." I look back down at the bear. "One night we woke to Ruby crying, when I got up to check on her..." I start shaking. "There was so much blood." Caroline wraps her arms around me and hugs me tightly as the tears return and pour down my cheeks. 

"I'm so sorry." She whispers to me, her voice drenched in sorrow. We pull apart, her eyes are lined with tears. 

"He killed her. I tried to track him but he had powerful witches cloaking him, Kol killed those witches one by one. One of the witches he killed was from a very powerful coven, who when they discovered it was Kol swore to kill Kol for the death of their sister, and his family for good measure. I offered myself in their place, so they would let them live and they did. In 1932 I faked my death, so my family could live. They tortured me whatever ways they could, until I killed them all. One by retched one, until their bloodline was ended." I make eye contact with Caroline. "I will always protect my family, and that means you now Caroline."