Chapter 28: Battlefield

~ Klaus' Pov ~

Elijah, Stefan and I relax in the sitting room, laughing and joking together; pleased with each other's company, thankfully no one is at anyone's throat, yet. "How did the lovely Elena take your departure?" Elijah asks Stefan.

"I don't know, she wasn't there. No one's seen or heard from her for almost two months." He says and sips the drink in his hand. 

"After all that fuss about the sire bond, and fighting your brother for her affection; she didn't even say goodbye?" I ask, a hint of sarcasm in my voice and a smirk on my lips. 

"I'll live." 

"Well Rebekah's available if you fancy." I suggest. He rolls his eyes at me and smiles.  

"Oh yeah, I could tell by the way she looked at me with that homicidal look in her eyes that she can't wait to get her hands all over me."

"She's just being dramatic, you know our sister." Elijah smiles as we're joined at last by Kol and Destiny, dressed in their pyjamas. 

"Done already?" I comment, only to receive a slap to the back of the head from Destiny. "What was that for?" I rub my head as Kol laughs, she takes a seat next to him and he wraps his arm around her. 

"Sticking your nose into other people's business." She quips back with her arms crossed, I roll my eyes. 

"Hey, where's Caroline?" Stefan asks.

"She ran to the market to get things for dinner." I reply and look at my watch, realising it has now been two and a half hours since she left. I pull my phone out of my pocket and click her contact to call her, voicemail. Odd. After five minutes of casual conversation and no reply from Caroline, I walk out of the room and call her again; nothing. I try again and again and nothing. 

"What's the matter Niklaus?" Elijah's voice is suddenly behind me.

"Caroline's not answering her phone." I try one more time, voicemail again. "Love, call me as soon as you get this." I hang up after leaving a message and return the phone back to my pocket. 

"She may be driving. Give it a little time, I'm sure she'll be back any minute."

"She always answers her phone Elijah, the car has bluetooth. Something's wrong." 

"What's going on?" Stefan steps into the hallway, concern in his voice. 

"Something's happened to Caroline." I run my hands through my hair, trying to calm myself unsuccessfully. 

"You don't know that Niklaus."

"What's happened to Caroline?" Rebekah suddenly appears on the staircase.

"She's not answering her phone." I say and she raises her eyebrows.

"She always answers her phone." She says, worry lacing her voice and features. She descends the staircase to join us. "When was the last time you spoke to her?"

"When she left two and a half hours ago. Town isn't that far, she should be back by now." I speed over to the hall table and pick up my car keys. "I'm going to go into town to find her." 

"I'll come with you." Stefan says.

"Me too." Rebekah follows.

"The rest of you stay here incase she comes back, call me if you hear anything." I instruct and speed out to the car. Stefan gets into the passenger seat and Rebekah into the back. I drive as quick as I can down the driveway, as I turn onto the road I see her car. I hit the breaks and stare, my heart drops into my stomach. I speed out of the car to the drivers side of her car, the door is wide open; her phone is on the floor of the car and her shopping list is sitting in the passenger seat. I pick up her phone and open it, all my missed calls pop up; she was right outside...and I couldn't protect her.