Chapter 20: Family Time

~ Stefan's Pov ~

I finished packing my bag for New Orleans about an hour ago, right now I'm sitting on the front porch waiting for Liz to pick me up. "Where are you going?" Damon's voice cuts through my subconscious bringing me back to reality.

"New Orleans." I answer.

"New Orleans?!" He pulls me up and pushes my shoulder. "Jeez I know Elena and I've been fighting a lot lately but that doesn't mean that you can just up and leave!"

"Would you please relax." I take a step back and put my hands in front of me in defence. "I'm not leaving, I'm just going to visit Caroline." He raises an eyebrow and looks me up and down.

"But you're brooding. You only do that when contemplating a life changing decision."

"This is just my face Damon." 

"Might want to work on that." I roll my eyes just as Liz pulls up. "Ah my favourite Cop in Mystic Falls, Hiya Liz."

"Damon." She answers as she steps out of the car. "Ready to go?" I nod and pick up my bag.

"All set." I say as I put it in the trunk and move to the passenger side of the car. Just as I open the door Elena comes rushing outside.

"Stefan?! Where are you going?" She asks.

"Away for a while. I need some space from everything, need to clear my head." I respond as I get into the car.

"Stefan!" I look at Damon who takes hold of Elena's shoulders and holds her back. "Damon? What are you doing-Stefan!"

"Goodbye Elena." I look at Damon, "Later brother." He nods and the car pulls away from the driveway. The house is out of sight now and there's a somewhat awkward silence in the car. 

"You all good?" Liz asks.

"Yeah, I need to get away." I smile at Liz and she raises her eyebrow at me. "And I miss Caroline."

"You and me both, I still can't believe she's having a baby."

"It's a miracle, and hey," She looks at me, "You're gonna be a grandmother." I tell her and she smiles brighter than I've ever seen her smile.

"I never thought this would happen, not after she turned at least. Just thinking about the life she'd miss out on killed me, but now...I'm so happy, I feel like I've really got my daughter back now."

~ Kol's Pov ~

"Lovely, a Salvatore...under our roof...alive...not dead-"

"Yes thank you Nikolai we get it." Elijah interrupts. "Now stop sulking."

"Have we forgotten how many times they've tried to kill us? And a few times succeeded." I demand and Elijah rolls his eyes.

"Quite deservingly. As devastating as your death was Nikolai, you are as it appears still alive."

"That's besides the point-"

"Kol, you're not killing the Salvatore. This one is a friend." Destiny chimes from the doorway.

"But darling, he helped the dopplgaanger." I whine as she saunters over to me.

"To eer is human." She says and places a hand on my cheek.

"Well he's not human is he, my love?" She walks over to Elijah and circles him, stopping to speak over his shoulder; made possible by her standing on the love seat behind them.

"Lijah darling, tell him he's being irrational." He turns around and lifts her off the love seat while reiterating what she said.

"Nikolai you're being irrational." She giggles and he spins her around then lets her down.

"I am not being irrational. If he comes near you-"

"He won't hurt me, my love. Caroline trusts him." She embraces me tightly, her very prominent belly pressing against me. I wrap my arms around her and rest my head atop of hers.

"As usual, my love, you win." I say looking down at her, she smiles up at me and presses her lips to mine.

"And as usual I am still in the room." We pull apart and look at Elijah who is pulling his shirt sleeves past his blazer sleeves and straightening up his cufflinks.