Chapter 26: Truth Will Out

~ Rebekah's Pov ~

I stand facing Nik in silence as I process everything they've told me. "You abandoned me to play house?!" I charge at Nik and shove him violently into Elijah, leaning against the fireplace. 

"My sister the drama queen." He says and gestures to me. "You should be happy, I gave you what you wanted. Freedom, a life free of me to live as you please. Last time I checked sister you wanted nothing more than to be rid of me and this family." He pours himself a drink and takes a seat next to Caroline on the couch. 

"I do but-"

"Then what't the problem Rebekah? You wanted to have your big moment? The moment you stand up to me and tell me once again I'll be alone forever, so on and so forth. Sorry to disappoint you sister but some more important things came up." He wraps an arm around Caroline and gestures to Destiny sitting on the arm of Kol's chair with his other, drink in hand. He takes a sip. "You're being very rude you know, your sister who has been missing for almost 90 years, presumed dead, has come back into our lives and you're standing here making everything about yourself."I cross my arms.

"As usual." Kol says annoyingly. 

"Oh shut up Kol. Why are you on his side? He locked you in a box for almost a century."

"In my defence he wouldn't leave New Orleans." Klaus raises his hands in defence. 

"My wife was dying in my arms." 

"And if I left you there, you would have been killed by Mikael or found a way to kill yourself. So really me temporarily killing you saved your life."

"But-"

"You did almost ruin my plan darling." Destiny brushes her fingers across his cheek lovingly. "I needed you to think I was dead, not get yourself killed. I do not condone the daggering and carting around the country for decades but he did keep you safe."

"Until the doppelgänger had her hunter plunge a stake into my heart. Which hurt by the way."

"Oh my poor darling, I know." She kisses him as she rubs her hand over his heart. 

"As disgustingly in love as always, it's been a thousand years! We all hate it."

"So then leave sister. We're all happy, you're the only one with a problem here."

"Maybe I will."

"Come now Rebekah, this is the first time since we became vampires that we can all be in one place without the fear of being hunted. We can stay, be a real family." Elijah says from his seat next to Kol. "And our family is growing, do you not want to meet your niece and nephews?" I sit on the couch across from Klaus and Caroline. 

"Fine, I'll stay." 

"Wonderful, oh look whose come to join us." Elijah says and looks at the door as it opens slightly and a little girl walks into the room holding a stuffed rabbit and rubbing her eyes. 

"Hello darling how was your nap?" Kol asks as he walks over to the little girl. He picks her up and she rests her head on his shoulder. "Looks like someone's still tired." He walks back over to the armchair he was sitting in.

"Who's child is that?" 

"No clue, we found her wandering around the quarter." Nik says. 

"Who's that?" The little girl asks Kol as she points at me. 

"That is our mean little sister Rebekah." He says and she giggles. 

"She's not mean silly, she's just sad."