Chapter 27: Too Good To Be True

~ Stefan's Pov ~

I take a long sip of bourbon as I stare into the living room, taking one last look before I say goodbye to this house and my life in Mystic Falls. "Sure I can't convince you to stay another day?" Damon asks now beside me. 

"Caroline will bite my head off if I'm so much as an hour late. I said a month, time's up." I pat his shoulder and head towards the front door, downing the rest of my drink and placing the now empty glass on the hall table. 

"Elena will want to say goodbye." He says, I sigh and turn back around to face him.

"Damon, it's been what two months? She hasn't answered anyone's calls, she hasn't told anyone where she is or where she's going. I sincerely doubt she's going to come back just to say goodbye to me." 

"She hasn't gone, she just needs time." He walks up to me.

"Damon. You're my brother, and I love you, so I'm telling you that she's gone. She clearly doesn't care about anyone other than herself right now, Damon she doesn't care about you anymore. I told you, Destiny thinks that her hatred of Klaus and his relationship with Caroline must have overpowered the sire bond and broke it." I place my hands on his shoulders and look him in the eyes. "I'm not saying she doesn't love you, but right now she's putting what she wants in front of you. I don't want us to spend the next hundred years fighting over a girl that doesn't care about us Damon, you're my brother. Don't let her hurt you like this, you don't deserve that." He doesn't say anything, his eyes are red and he looks like he's hurting. "Walk away." I pull him into a hug, he hugs me back and nods. 

"So long brother." He pulls away and opens the door to let me out. I walk out the door to my car, before I can get in Damon's hand is on my shoulder. "Here." He holds a fluffy white teddy bear in his hand for me to take. "For Blondie Junior." I take it and smile.

"Wow."

"Yeah whatever." He rolls his eyes and reaches into his back pocket, pulling out an envelope. "This too." I take it and put them both in the passenger seat. 

"I'll make sure she gets them." He nods and puts his hands in his front pockets. 

"Thanks." We stand there silently for a moment until he pulls me into a hug. "Stay out of trouble, can't have my baby brother making messes I'll have to come to clean up." 

"Nah we wouldn't want that." I pat his back and we let go. He pats my shoulder as I get into the car. "Take care of yourself Damon." I say as I close the door and start the engine, I wave at him as I drive away. This is the first time we've had a proper goodbye, it's never been like this before; each time we've separated we've been angry at each other, even when living together; this time we said goodbye as brothers not enemies. I'm going to miss Damon, before Caroline left he had Elena; and I promised I would leave town if she chose him and she did, but I stayed because of the sire bond...I should have left. But I still loved her, at least I loved the girl she was before. As I drive through town I'm overwhelmed with all the memories this town has given me. Growing up with my family, Katherine, turning, becoming the ripper, finding Lexi, losing Damon, finding Elena, losing Lexi, fighting Damon, so much loss, so much pain, loving Elena...finding my best friend, Caroline. If there's anything positive that's come out of coming back to Mystic Falls, it's Caroline. I look at my rearview mirror and watch the town sign saying 'Welcome to Mystic Falls' fade into the horizon. 

~ Caroline's Pov ~

I feel impossibly large, my feet are no longer visible, putting shoes on is about as fun as eating vervain, and I'm hungry all the time. I've gone through five blood bags today alone, Klaus offered to compel me a mobile blood bag which I am not okay with, but I can't deny the sound of fresh blood does sound amazing. "At least try it once, love. Maybe you won't need to drink as much if it's fresh?"