Chapter 13: Patch

Rhea was sitting in a cushioned pale wood and brown pleather chair. She was currently in an office that was mostly pale wood and looked cheery under the bright lights. One side of the office wall was covered in shelves with books of various sizes and thickness. The other wall had a large window and photos scattered along the wall. With arms crossed, she waited for Kevin to return. She really wanted to take Levi and leave. This town was supposed to be safe. Nothing ever happened in Howling Falls.

The office door opened and she looked over to find Kevin talking to someone. "We'll talk more after I'm done here. First, go find Declan and Drystan and make sure they get home safe."

Kevin closed the door and walked over to the pale wooden desk. He sat in an old office chair that looked well worn and matched the chair Rhea was sitting in. Folding his arms on top of the desk and leaning forward, he smiled at Rhea. "Ask away."

"Did Andrew know?"

Kevin sighed and sagged a little. "Depends on your question of 'Know'." He reached into the desk drawer and pulled out a journal. "He asked me to hold onto this, just in case." Setting the book on the desk, he looked at Rhea. "Andrew wanted to tell you, but he was worried you would look at him differently. This is the journal he left for you. This should answer most of your questions involving him. As for Levi, I know he was making one for him but he didn't leave it with me."

"So he basically lied to me about who he was."

Kevin made a face and leaned back. "He really did want to tell you but he was scared. Not many things scared him, but when it came to you and his family..." He trailed off before finally finishing, "he wanted you all to be safe."

Rhea motioned around her. "How is this safe? Levi is being chased by something I thought only existed in movies and books. I find out that you're the equivalent of the godfather..."

"I wouldn't go that far."

"And now I'm finding out that Andrew had lied to me up until he was gone." Rhea wanted to scream and yell and just leave. Instead, she leaned forward to bury her face in her hands. "Now I'm worried the attack back in the city might be something more."

Kevin sighed. "This town is safe. These people are not supposed to be here without asking first."

Rhea squinted at him. "Really not changing my mind on the godfather thing."

Kevin frowned. "I know you have more questions."

"Werewolves?" Rhea motioned at him. "I mean, are you...?"

"Yes, I am a werewolf. I was born this way. Most of my family are werewolves. We're not like the wolves in movies and in books."

Leaning back in the chair, she nodded and drummed her fingers on the arm of the chair. "What do I need to know about Levi?"

"Levi is a mediator. They're a group of humans with abilities that are used to maintain the balance between humans and the supernatural. Andrew was one. He helped us out with problems that call for a mediator. Because of Andrew, it has been peaceful out here."

Kevin picked the book up and held it out to her. "He was like a son to my wife and me. He was family. When we found out what happened, we were devastated."

Rhea took the book and looked it over. The leather was worn in places and creased along the binding. When she opened the pages, she could make out Andrew's handwriting. "When they didn't find a body, I held out hope, but...." She trailed off before finding her voice again. "He would have never left Levi alone, especially after an accident. Not after everything that happened with...." Rhea closed the journal and covered her face with her hand.