Chapter 27: Just A little Broken

Levi glanced over his shoulder to find Cain and Michael still standing there. A voice by his foot made him jump. "Hi!" Looking down, he found Ozy watching him.

"Hi. Where have you been?"

"Running around. People think I'm a cat, so they tend to talk about all sorts of things." Ozy climbed up to Levi's shoulder, causing him to wince. "It works out cause gossip is my favorite subject."

"Of course it is."

Levi walked further into the woods. "Yes. It's been so long since I could talk to you, and Michael's been running me into the ground chasing rumors."

"So, what are you doing here now?"

"Watching you. When you meet Laik, I'll let Micheal know, and he'll start the timer."

"How would he know?"

"Magic."

"Right." Levi stopped to look around. "Well, guess I should find him."

"Not going to outrun him."

"No." Levi looked up and squinted. "I have an idea. I think."

"I'll leave you to it." Ozy took off to climb a tree.

Looking around the trees, he frowned. The small pocket of woods wasn't that large, and the trees weren't that close. He looked up to find the sun setting. The woods would be dark soon. Turning on the spot as Levi looked around, he took a deep breath. He could do this.

Then he was looking at the sky as something slammed along his upper chest and shoulders. Levi felt his back hit the ground. Without thinking, he rolled with the motion so that he was in a crouched position. Levi watched Laik as he rotated his shoulder and gave his arm a swing around to loosen it up.

"Well, you're a lot sturdier than most, I'll give you that."

Levi slowly stood up, watching Laik. "I get that a lot."

When Laik moved, it was faster than he expected. Levi managed to sidestep him in time to dodge the strike. He swung the bat down and caught Laik in the back of the knee. Taking quick steps back, he watched as Laik tumbled to the ground. Laik let out a hiss before looking at Levi over his shoulder. When Laik tried to get his feet under himself, Echo jumped onto his back, shoving him back onto the ground.

Laik let out a swear as Echo yelled, "Move!"

Levi took a few steps back before turning to take off. He had a plan, but his plan might not work. He could hear Echo running beside him. "He can't track my scent. Nobody can." Levi slid to a stop, he looked around. "Sound is trackable. What can wolves hear? Should have asked that question." He stopped as he felt the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end. Levi ducked behind the tree and listened as Echo pressed his body against his legs.

When the snow crunched next to his tree, he stepped out to take a high swing. Laik ducked with wide eyes and caught the bat. He tried to tug it out of Levi's hand, only to have Levi lift his feet up and shove them against his chest. Levi stumbled on his feet as Laik caught himself on a tree. After he caught his balance, Levi quickly stepped away from Laik. He twisted his wrist, spinning the bat. As Laik pushed away from the tree, Echo appeared in his human form to blow on a thin whistle.

Laik covered his ears, but the sound still caused him to flinch away. Levi rushed forward and brought his bat down. Laik managed to grab Levi's arm just as the bat connected with his left shoulder. The loud crack had him gritting his teeth in shock to stifle the pain. He let out a wheeze that had Levi trying to jerk back.

Laik followed and shoved him hard against the tree. It hurt to move. Levi let out a grunt and then started to struggle. Only the hand didn't move. When Levi tried to push him away again, Laik yanked the bat out of his hand and used it to smack Echo over the head. The motion caused more pain to flair, and he could feel the bones trying to realine themselves as another pop sounded.