Three

I awoke with a start, my mind hazy as if I had just drank a whole bottle of tequila. I couldn't help but groan as a ringing began, throbbing against my temple and irritating me awake. Staring up at the ceiling, apart of me wondered where I was. That was until I noticed my brother's collection of every Harry Potter wand and book imaginable. Pulling the covers back over my head, I tried to drown out the noise but it was no use, I couldn't go back to sleep even if I wanted to. The events of earlier suddenly hit me, the weight of all of it crushing me.

Andrew cheated. He cheated on me with eight other women. Who knew how many times each affair lasted? Was I not enough for him? Did he ever truly love me? Why would he do this?

A soft knock startled me out of my racing thoughts. Peeling the covers off over my head, I turned toward the door, my body entirely too heavy to get up. I felt weak, so weak in fact that I wondered if I would even be able to get out of bed.

"Hey Em, it's me." Clarissa's voice fell from the other side of the door and my lip began to tremble, "Can I come in?"

"Yeah." I mumbled, sitting up in bed, resting my head against the headboard.

Within seconds the door opened and the sound of the bed squeaking made me open my eyes, "How are you feeling?"

I shrugged, "I am upset, I was to scream and yell but I also just want to cry. I don't know what I'm going to do Clara."

"Here's what you're going to do. You're going to stop feeling sorry for yourself and wondering what you could have done. Your marriage failing is on him, not you. We're going to go out tonight, I'm gonna get you dressed and we can go have some fun. How does that sound?"

I wouldn't normally say yes but I had to hand it to Clarissa, she knew me. She knew nothing good would come from wallowing in bed all day. I needed to take back my birthday. And what better way to do that, than drinking with strangers?

I smiled, "Okay."

* * *

The bar on the corner of fifth and Elm was for a better word, crowded. I didn't want to go to a strip joint and felt that a simple night out drinking would take my mind off my previous encounter. I wore a simple navy blue dress, courtesy of Clarissa's closet of dresses. And by closet, I really mean that. I wasn't sure if she even owned a simple pair of sweats or even jeans for that matter. My hair was pulled out of my face and despite my protests, I let Clarissa do my makeup.

I felt confident. I felt fearless. I felt like the woman I was four years ago, before I met Andrew when I was a single girl in college blissfully unaware of where her world would turn to.

Taking a seat at the bar with Clarissa beside me, I ordered a rum and coke. Though, it had been a while since I drank, I knew I needed one. Especially after the day I had had. I waited patiently as the bartender made my drink. Clarissa said something about using the bathroom before leaving me alone. Grabbing my drink that was placed quickly before me, I took a long drink before setting the empty glass down.

"Do you want another one?" The bartender asked and I only nodded.

"You know, you look just like my coworker, Daniel."

"Daniel Campbell?" I asked and he nodded. "We came out of the same womb that's why we look similar." I grinned and he grimaced. Most likely at the mention of my mother's uterus.

"You could have just said he's your brother." He mumbled and poured me another glass.

"Well, we're actually twins." I said to which he nodded in response before giving me a casual thumbs up and running over to help the next customer.