Twenty-Four

It had been nearly two months since I had returned to my pack. Despite this, I still was having trouble sleeping. Josie was still under her probation, but she was still able to find her mate Adam, who was our Delta. I was happy for her, knowing that her life at her old pack must have been a nightmare compared to what I had endured. Rolling out of bed, I got dressed quickly, ignoring the rumbling of my stomach as I made my way throughout our house. When I finally entered the kitchen, Elijah was waiting for me, quietly drinking from his mug full of black coffee.

"Good morning." He greeted before taking another big gulp.

"Mmm." I hummed, moving past him to grab myself a mug, "Good morning."

"How did you sleep?"

I shrugged, "Not well."

"Maybe you should..." He started and I looked back at him, knowing exactly what he was suggesting.

I sighed, "I was planning to go again tomorrow."

"Would you like it if I come with you?" He asked and a part of me was thankful he offered but I knew I needed to do this on my own.

"I think I should do this by myself but thank you for the offer." I replied, grabbing the coffee pot and pouring the contents into my mug before I began to make my drink just how I liked it, "I know I need time to heal but, I just wish it didn't have to be like this."

"We can't change the past."

I sighed, "I know."

My stomach growled again and I took a sip from my mug hoping to ease my hunger just a little bit while I made myself some breakfast. I didn't feel like making anything but that didn't mean I should succumb to it. Setting my mug down, I searched the fridge for something to eat, scowling at the emptiness before looking in the pantry, hoping I could find something edible.

"I was thinking." Elijah started, his words trailing off as I searched the various shelves.

"Yeah?" I asked, closing the pantry door with a grumble before giving Elijah my full attention.

We needed to go grocery shopping today otherwise we'll starve.

"Well, I was wondering, would you maybe, like to go out for breakfast this morning?"

"You know, that sounds like a great idea." I said with a smile my stomach immensely enjoying the thought of food, "But after we're definitely going grocery shopping because we have nothing to eat."

"There is food!" Elijah protested and I shook my head.

"We can't survive on canned goods, Elijah." I sighed, "And besides, I could really go for some smoked venison."

"When was the last time we went hunting?"

"A while." I shrugged, "A lot has been going on. Maybe we could go this weekend?"

"I would like that." He said with a smile, "Now, are you ready to go?"

I smiled, "Definitely and you're driving." I said turning on my heel before running out of our cabin and towards Elijah's vehicle.

I knew that today would be a good day — or at least, I hoped it would be.

***

By the time we made it to the restaurant, I thought my wolf was going to kill me. I had never been this hungry, at least, not since my kidnapping. I was so hungry I could have probably eaten a whole bear. My wolf licked her lips in the back of my mind and I knew I probably needed to go for a run once we got back home.

Elijah, like the gentleman he was, moved my chair for me, waiting until I sat down before he sat in his across from me. I felt at peace then, a quietness coming over us as if there was no-where we needed to be than here.

"Hi I'm Katie!" The waitress said when she arrived at our table, "Can I start you guys off with something to drink?"

"Do you have hot chocolate?" I asked, looking up from my menu.

"We do, would you like whipped cream?" She replied with a smile.

"Yes please." I said smiling back, "And I'd like to put my order in."

"Okay." She breathed, her pen clicking before she began to write.

I was hungry and so was my wolf and I knew she wasn't prepared for what I had in mind for breakfast. I would feast on biscuits and gravy, sausage links, eggs, bacon, and maybe even a waffle or two. When she was done, I looked back at her with a smile and out of the corner of my eye I saw Elijah smile as well.

"And, um, for you sir?" She asked, her tone weaved in shock.

"I'll have the same." He pause, "But no hot chocolate for me. I'll just have some coffee. Thank you."

After Katie left I turned to Elijah, his smile still on his face, an amused look across that handsome face of his. Then he was chuckling and shaking his head. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing." He paused, "I just can't believe you want hot chocolate right now."

"Um, excuse me, hot chocolate can be drank at any time of the year not just winter thank you very much." I said defensively with a grin.

He chuckled, "Whatever you say, Lia." Then he paused, his face turning serious, "I can't believe how well you've acclimated to being a wolf."

"I can't believe it either." I couldn't help but smile, "I guess, I was always meant to be one."

Elijah nodded and a comfortable silence enveloped us.

Only, the silence was short lived when I decided to speak again, "Elijah?"

"Hmm?"

"If, um, when I was bit, if it hadn't happen like it did..." I trailed off and sighed, panic threatening to come forward but I bit it back, "Would you have done it?"

"Bite you?" He asked and I opened my eyes, staring into his as I nodded, my arm resting comfortably on the table as he reached for my hand, his touch immediately calming me and I felt safe, "I don't know, if it came down to it, and you wanted to, not because of what others thought but you wanted to be bit, I would have."

I nodded, "I wish you could have but what's done is done." I sighed, rubbing the back of his hand with my thumb, "We're here now. We should focus on what happens next."

"I agree." Elijah said just as we were served our food.

I knew in this moment that human Emilia was long gone. She was replaced with a powerful and strong Luna. One who was exactly where she belonged.