Eleven

A week came and went. I was still getting comfortable with the idea of being Elijah's Luna, just as I was learning to love and be loved again. Now, after weeks of getting to know Elijah and being his mate, he was helping me back for my brother and I's annual camping trip. Reluctantly, I agreed to let one of his wolves watch over us from a distance and the campground was still near Lusana so if any rogues attacked, we'd be close enough some of the members could hear us. But, apart of me wished Elijah could have joined us, but he had duties at his pack to attend to.

I made my way outside, water bottle in hand before I shielded my eyes from the sun and watched as both Elijah and Daniel loaded the truck bed. Sleeping bags, tent, and a cooler were already packed and all we had left was our bags. This would be a great trip.

"Do you have everything?" Elijah called from Daniel's truck.

"I should." I replied then turned to my brother, "Are you good?"

Daniel nodded, "Yeah we should be good to go."

"Awesome!" I exclaimed, making my way toward the passenger side.

"Excuse me, where do you think you're going?" Elijah asked as he came toward me.

I giggled and whipped around to face him, before he pulled me in for a hug, "I'm not going to be gone forever."

"I know," He said, leaning down to kiss me and I happily obliged, "I love you Lia."

I grinned, "I love you too."

"Hey, lovebirds, if you want to get to the campsite before dark we need to go." Danny called and I ignored him, kissing Elijah one last time before I jumped into the passenger seat.

We were ready to spend a weekend in the woods. Part of me was excited but another part of me had a strange feeling that something was going to happen, and nothing could prepare us for it. Buckling my seatbelt, Danny and I were off. Let's just hope the worst of our problems was who would start the fire in the fire pit.

* * *

"Is this it?" I asked when we had finally arrived at a clearing.

We had been driving for nearly an hour and had made it to the outskirts of the Lake of the Ozarks where Elijah's pack resided. It's crazy to think that we were only an hour away from each other this entire time. I knew I shouldn't think about what ifs but I couldn't help but wonder. If I hadn't met Andrew and met Elijah instead, would things have been different?

"I think so." Danny responded, putting the truck in park and pulling me out of my thoughts. Daniel wasted no time getting out of the truck and grabbing our tent. I followed after him, grabbing the cooler and setting it down near the fire pit. "Hey, do you want to put up the tent while I grab our bags?"

"Sure." I replied, walking over to where he set it down to begin putting it up.

It hadn't been very long since the last time I had put it up and was surprised when I managed to put the poles together so quickly. After twenty minutes of unpacking the truck and with a little help putting the tent's stakes down we were done. I was laying on my stomach when Danny made his way inside the tent, his face flushed.

"What happened to you?"

"I was getting firewood and my lighter isn't working." Danny explained, clearly frustrated.

"Oh, that's not a problem," I said, grabbing my backpack and fishing inside for the large box of kitchen matches I use on my gas stove, "I brought matches."

"Awesome!" Danny said, taking the box of matches from my outstretched hand and made his way out of the tent, "Thanks."

I followed after him and sat in one of the lawn chairs we brought, watching as he quickly struck the match and set it under the stack of wood in the pit. The fire licked the logs greedily and in minutes it was engulfing the pile of wood. The sun was beginning to set and I knew that it would be dark soon. Suddenly, rustling filled the area followed by a twig snapping.